Ethernet in Hazardous Area

infineum

I am looking to place moveable operator stations in our production rooms. These rooms are classified as a Class 1 Div 2 or Zone 2 area. These stations require 120 V power, air, and an ethernet connection to the server. Normally we would install operator stations in a fixed place with the power and ethernet in conduit. However, we do not use all of the production rooms at all times. Therefore, we thought that we could purchase portable purged enclosures and place these stations where we need them to save some money. This setup would require a rated electrical recepticle which would not be a problem. However, I do not know of any ethernet recepticles that are rated for explosion hazard areas. There are many industrial ethernet recepticles and plugs; harting for example but I do not believe they are rated for explosion hazard areas. I do not also believe that ethernet would be considered intrinsically safe. Does anybody have any ideas?

I agree with Jason, Fibre Optic is the way to go. If it's only a short run, Multimode gear is less expensive than Single Mode. (depends on what your site standard is). N-tron and Moxa make some neat little industrial media convertors to convert your copper ethernet to fibre.

To run the fibre into your purged enclosure you will need to get or make up a potted (epoxy filled) cable gland - or there are some fibre cables out on the market approved for use with ordinary compression glands.

On the question of intrinsic safety, I know MTL are working on some intrinsically safe Ethernet equipment. I don't know how far it is from being released.
Tim.

The Polaris HMIs from Bartec have Ethernet on increased safety terminal block. RS232C and RS422/RS485 also available on the same terminal block. Thes HMIs are exproof and suitable for mounting in areas upto Zone 1.

SVN

You may want to look at this:

http://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/pa/news/produkte/09765/index3_e.html

Once you render the signal intrisically safe for the device/cable combination you guarantee that the signal cannot create a hazard in the area the cable is running to. This means it can be disconnected at will without a hazard.

We use P+F IS sensors and barriers all the time. The sensors are quick disconnect style sensors, which means they can be disconnected at any time. Once the IS requirements are met you are in good shape.

Keith

Oh, awesome. Thanks.

kamenges said:
You may want to look at this:

http://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/pa/news/produkte/09765/index3_e.html

Once you render the signal intrisically safe for the device/cable combination you guarantee that the signal cannot create a hazard in the area the cable is running to. This means it can be disconnected at will without a hazard.

We use P+F IS sensors and barriers all the time. The sensors are quick disconnect style sensors, which means they can be disconnected at any time. Once the IS requirements are met you are in good shape.

Keith

Thank you for the information. It looks like the P&F isolator is exactly what I need. I will post back when I get this device and install it.

Thanks again for your help.