Beckoff Industrial PC

Hi there,

We've installed a beckhoff industrial PC for an heating project. We were surpriced with the low cost. I also have to say that the support
was excelent but,
The PC keeps crashing at least 2 times a week. We still do not no why? I personal think that there are still some bugs in the software !
Perhaps it's better to wait a little bit longer until all off those enfineering problems are solved.
At the plant were I used to work is a guy who has al lot more experience, perhaps it's good to contact that guy.
Just send me an e-mail and I will give his e-mail addres and phone number.

kind regards

Use a Dell

I would skip the Industrial Computer. I have used numerous kinds of different manufacturers and did not have the best of luck. They were also very expensive. I would buy a Dell Computer and spend a little extra on a nice cabinet and some clean power. Use either an Online UPS system or a Sola Power Conditioning Transformer and you will have little problems. I have installed over 50 Dell's over the last 5 years and I have replaced one (1) hard drive. The hard drive did not fail but Dell's software instructed me we had a problem (after 4 months). I called Dell and they replace the hard drive and I expereinced zero downtime. The majority of these computers are HMI's with a few on vision guided robots. The Dell's contain the Vision frame grabber cards.

My Experience (no Dell Stock).

I have installed quite a few PLCs, yet I have never had to replace a hard drive. For a very obvious reason.
Neither have I ever had to worry about providing air-conditioning or an extremely clean power supply.
All the systems were up and running form complete shutdown in a matter of a few seconds and could take a complete abrupt power loss without a squeak. A maintenance technician was able to troubleshoot the problems and even do some code changes - with me just being on the phone and saving myself the travails of travel.

The moral is simple: a PC controlling a machine is an abomination. Some limited use as a secondary device (vision... maybe, data collection & analysis, fancy operator interface). Too flimsy, too slow, too unreliable (no matter Windows or Linux or whatever).

Sorry though, I am sure this topic has been raised a lot of times here...

LadderLogic,
How do we know he is using this PC for Control of I/O? (I have yet to see a PLC operate as an HMI or contain vision frame grabbers.) I was not comparing PLC's to PC's nor shall I. They both have their place in Industrial Automation and always will. I was comparing PC's for his QUESTION.

Try PROVIT Series from B&R Industrial Automation (www.br-automation.com)I used them in many projects and found them rugged and reliable on the shop floor.Some of the features....

*Builtin Regulated Power Supply
* Compact Flash option available so forget worryibg about HardDisc Failures
* Temp Sensors to monitor Touch Screen Display,CPU,Motherboard temperature.Cooling system based on Temp Sensor Feedback keeps the Unit Temparature in allowable limit.
* Wide choice of communication ports