CPU315-2PN/DP and Danfoss VLT

ron_w

Hi all.

Maybe someone had similar problem with few frequency converters from Danfoss controled via Ethernet/IP option card. According to documents from suplier there are some instances, profiles etc. but it isn't clear how to send short message from CPU to particular FC. If anybody is experienced please help to understand what is going about, especialy how can I send and recive message to and from particular converter. A piece of code for S7 would be great.

Thanks in advance

ron_w

Hello ron;

Unfortunately, you have a problem. Siemens does not support Ethernet/IP, it is a Rockwell protocol. Well actually it is supported by ODVA, like DeviceNet and ControlNet, but it is a CIP messaging protocol, developped for Rockwell Controllogix CPUs.
You can have a look at the specs for Ethernet/IP here:
http://www.odva.org/default.aspx?tabid=67

The S7 CPUs you enquire about support either Profibus or Profinet (natively), and Profinet is not compatible with Ethernet/IP.
So it looks like you have a choice to make. Keep existing equipment and insert a gateway (Ethernet/IP to Profinet IO: Google will show different providers); change the PLC to Controllogix (or CompactLogix) with a ENET processor (for Ethernet/IP); or change the Danfoss interface card to Profibus (which I know they support) or Profinet (you would have to check if it is available).
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hello dchartier!

Thanks for explanation. It seems not good now - I have to decide or gateway from profinet to profibus (probably the best solution), or something else. Anyway tis was blind end.

Thanks again

ron_w

Hello ron;

Do you mean a gateway from Profibus to Ethernet/IP, perhaps.
If you did not make a mistake, does that mean you have a Profinet interface in the Danfoss VLTs? Profinet or profibus (both supported by Siemens CPUs)would make your life much easier than a gateway.
To program a gateway correctly would require adequate knowledge of both protocols you are converting.
Hoep this helps,
Daniel Chartier