Ethernet to RS-485

imloggedin

Can anyone recommend a good Ethernet to RS-485 converter for modbus traffic? Im using a Lantronix unit right now and im not very happy with it.

digi

phoenix contact

what problems are you having with the lantronics? we have hundreds of them with no issue.

imloggedin said:
sweet, thanks for all the links

not to be edgy, but I would like to know what kind of problem you are having. maybe someone can help you and save you some money, or we could learn something to avoid in the future. you are kind of leaving us hanging here. lantronix is pretty widely used. we literally have hundreds, if not a thousand of them.

DeviceMaster RTS

C O M T R O L makes a product called DeviceMaster RTS which offers Serial to Ethernet connectivity. We have a variety of port density options from 1 to 32 serial ports and offer RS-232/422/485 software selectable on a per port basis.

We have used the Lantronics units. They work OK but aren't optimal

A protocol aware unit is best and will be faster. A protocol aware when it has a complete packet so it can relay the packet through the other port. If you were writing the code don't you think you would wait for the end of a Modbus packet before sending in on as a Modbus/TCP packet? What defines the end of a Modbus packet? When the going the other way will the Ethernet to serial converter know about the Modbus packet's timing requirements?

I didn't see where the protocol was mention or even asked for. Doesn't anybody think it will make a difference?

imloggedin said:
... modbus traffic ...

As far as I know in the described case two technologies are possible:

1 - a remote serial port

2 - a converting of protocols ModbusRTU <> ModbusTCP

Years ago I had evaluated both of them. I found out that variant #2 is much more stable.

The experiments were done with I-7188E3 unit which supports both of the technologies.

What technology #1 or #2 did you mean exactly?

Last edited: