Forcing I/O's in logix 5000

pct_jimmy

Can anyone tell me why when i right click on any I/O that the force on and force off options are greyed out. I can still force an I/O onn or off by going to the monitor screen but this seems like a bit of a pain in the butt

personally I've never seen that trick before ... can you post a screen shot - or your program - or something for us to look at? ... what version of RSLogix5000 are you using? ... what specific addresses are involved? ... are you online or offline? ...

I have used the right click many times to acces the menu which contains Force On and Force Off. I can't remember a situation - other than being in a rung which is being edited, in which they weren't enabled. Make sure that forces are enabled.

Okay, I am in online mode with processor set to remote.Using logix 5000 ver. 16, and this seems to be across the board as far as the same result on every in, or output. I have included a few screen shots to help shed a little light on the situation
logixscrn1.JPG

logixscrn2.JPG

Is the tag you are attempting to force actually an I/O data bit? I don't think you can force any other tag or even an alias, only actual I/O data tags.

In your second screenshot, you are not forcing, just writing the value to a bit.

Paul

not sure I'm reading everything correctly but the tag IN_Control_Pwr doesn’t appear to be an actual Input or Output tag ...

secret handshake: you can only force Input or Output addresses - not “internal” stuff ...

does that help? ...

PS Edit: my distinguished colleague OkiePC beat me to the punch ... but just to clarify: you CAN force an alias - as long as it's an alias of a real Input or Output tag ...

Last edited:
going a little further ... I mean no offense, but my guess is that you’re confusing the INSTRUCTIONS (such as XIC, XIO, OTE) with the terms INPUTS and OUTPUTS ... that's a VERY common misconception, but they are NOT the same thing ...

one of the Email Quizzes in the “Sample Lessons” area of my website covers the confusing parts of this concept in quite some detail ... you might want to work through the questions and the answers when you have some spare time ... or just give me a call ...

Last edited:
Well that helps out some. Just to help me get this straight you can only force a real I/O such as a push button or a servo valve, etc. Trust me I take no offense, I was a computer technician in the middle of training on PLC's, when my teacher, the head electrician @ the plant, left. So I have been kind of thrown in and learning what I can when I can

Last edited:
So I have been kind of thrown in and learning what I can when I can

that's actually the BEST way to learn - just as long as you don't hurt anyone - or wreck too much machinery - and you have time to experiment ...

best advice: get a spare system to play (oops! I mean) learn on instead of the plant's production gear ...

good luck ...

I do have a spare micrologix 1000 and slc 5/01 and 5/04 that I have been using with logix 500. I must say that I am a bit better with it. 5000 is really new territory for me. Thanks for all your help

I do have a spare micrologix 1000 and slc 5/01 and 5/04 that I have been using with logix 500. I must say that I am a bit better with it.

try the same "forcing inputs and outputs" idea with those systems and you'll see the same effect ...

secret handshake: notice that in RSLogix500 there is a "Force File" for INPUTS and a "Force File" for OUTPUTS ... but NO "Force File" for internal addresses ...

forcetables.JPG

try the following setting to see something similar in RSLogix5000 ...

canbeforced.JPG

5000 is really new territory for me.

you're not alone ... I'm getting more and more students lately who are "good" on PLCs and SLCs - but still need quite a bit of help to make the transition to the ControlLogix platform ...

Thanks for all your help

you're welcome ...

Last edited: