Serial to Ethernet conversion...

userxyz

Is there a modul that can convert Serial 9 pins to ethernet ?

We now have telephony central that can print on a V24 Serial port, but the printer is located 140 meters further. So we have a conversion to telephone line, at the location of the printer we reconvert from telephoneline to printer...

But, is there something that can convert serial V24 to ethernet and the hook up a printer on the ethernet...

?

DLink make a USB to Ethernet converter - I have one. Not sure about serial though - serial is vanishing in the PC world and there is not much call for it now.

DeviceMaster RTS

C O M T R O L makes serial device servers in a variety of port density options from 1 to 32 serial ports across a single Ethernet connection.

Hi Combo

I haven't read the data for the EtherPath® SS-1R that closely and so may well be wrong. The Serial Ethernet modems I have used don't let the serial device put data onto the ethernet cable independently there always has to be a computer at the far end that is in charge of the comunication. So I don't think you could use this to go from serial to ethernet and then hook up your printer on to the ethernet. What it lets you do is have a serial port at a remote point via ethernet and the software creates a virtual serial port on the computer.

You should be able to do what you want with a small embedded computer like this one from Moxa. Though you will have some configuring and maybe programming to do.

Bryan

only 150m...why telephone? granted it will get round the globe (or even outside of it) but i would consider an RS-232/RS-485 adapter set and this can do about 1.5km and is simpler/cheaper.

i have used rocketport from ******* to do just what you're asking though - works very well but i use this when I have a LAN/WAN and you have serial devices (eg modem) you want to communicate with and utilise the existing ethernet architecture.