Cimplicity, Kepware and SLC 5/05

prabhjeet

Hello friends!

I am working on a project where I am considering using KepServerEx instead of RSLinx Classic to be the interface between SLC 5/05 controllers and Cimplicity.

Cimplicity manual doesn't speak of KepServerEx anywhere (it speaks only about RSLinx). I am fairly optimistic that someone, somewhere has implemented this - or at least has a good idea as to how to achieve this.

I am looking for help on this - first question being if it is achievable. And the next - if yes, how.

In the meantime, I will also be spending some time on it and in case I get some results, I will post these.

Thanks folks!

Cheers

There is absolutely no problem using Cimplicity with Kepware. We have it like that in a lot of projects.
You just need to check how is the driver for the SLC 5/05 is working

What you're looking at is using KepServer Ex as your "OPC Server" (Cimplicity being the "OPC Client"). You can download a free trial version of Kepserver Ex from Kepware's web site. Also that's right in their lane, if you have problems or questions, contact Kepware directly - they tend to be very helpful.

Thank you guys for your time. I could make Cimplicity talk to SLC 5/05 using Kepware.

Like you suggested, I configured the Kepware to be the OPC server and Cimplicity as OPC client.

The test application is working fine with 2 SLC 5/05s on the ethernet. The port number had me guessing for a while but, in the end, leaving it to default value of 2222 worked.

Many thanks again.

Good times - no problem. I think you'll also find that KepServer outperforms RSLinx in addition to being priced more reasonably. IMO, the only downside is the lack of "browsing" ability that RSLinx supports.

prabhjeet said:
Thank you guys for your time. I could make Cimplicity talk to SLC 5/05 using Kepware.

Like you suggested, I configured the Kepware to be the OPC server and Cimplicity as OPC client.

The test application is working fine with 2 SLC 5/05s on the ethernet. The port number had me guessing for a while but, in the end, leaving it to default value of 2222 worked.

Many thanks again.