Measuring PLC / SCADA uptime.

shaunn

Hello All,

I have a need to monitor and record uptimes for both PLC & SCADA systems, this is to be used as a performance measure for our automation system. (i.e: systems availability)

Has anyone out there ever attempted such a thing?

Regards,
Shaun.

It doesn't matter. Our mine has AB & Siemens PLC's with Citect & Adroit SCADA packages.I'm not looking for a vendor specific solution.

If you were tasked to prove what your "PLC" uptime for the last quarter/month/week was, how would you go about this?

Thanks.

Assuming the PLC doesn't have any built in diagnostics that do this...use a register as a counter - a timer should increment it at the timeslice of resolution you want (ie, every minute). You will need some way of stamping/mapping/logging your count at some other regular intervals. This should be done in your HMI/SCADA package. I would recommend storing it in an SQL database of some sort. Such uptime queries would then be trivial and you could go the extra step of generating spreadsheets or reports, if necessary.

Measuring SCADA uptime is something that you'll have to: define, then determine on a vendor by vendor basis. If there's no better builtin or supported way, you could always concoct something with script and a "scribble pad" (database, text file, etc - obviously the PLC and PCs RAM won't work here).

shaunn said:
It doesn't matter. Our mine has AB & Siemens PLC's with Citect & Adroit SCADA packages.I'm not looking for a vendor specific solution.

If you were tasked to prove what your "PLC" uptime for the last quarter/month/week was, how would you go about this?

Thanks.

Well, it does matter, as some products may have the function built in. But as suferb noted, if you assume that's not the case and you want a 'generic' approach, then I would do as suferb suggests:

For the PLC, use the inital Scan status (whether an internal bit in the case of AB, or something you make-up) to clear a register. Then update this register with a pulsing timer at the resolution you need. Don't go too low or you may outrun the size of your register. Use a floating point to avoid this if possible.

For the SCADA, you need to define whether you want the SCADA only or the combo of the SCADA talking to the PLC. In some applications you may want only the fact that the SCADA is up and talking to the PLC, not the fact that the SCADA application is running. If you want that the PLC/SCADA combo is up and communicating, then use a startup script in your SCADA to initialize a PLC register as above and use the same counting routine. If you only care that the SCADA app is running, do the same but with an internal register to the SCADA package and an always running script that periodically increments the register.

I find it hard to know why you are interested in PLC uptime. A machine could be stopped for a week producing nothing but the PLC could be powered up and running. In my experience PLC's run 24/7 without too much problem.

Good luck with your endeavours

I find it common for guys to overestimate PLC uptime, and I can understand why management would ask for it, but you bring a good point to the table. It's most often I/O, peripheral, or device downtime that stops the process - NOT the PLC being down. Again, defining your metrics is very important here. I don't think you can intelligently generalize this one.

cjd1965 said:
I find it hard to know why you are interested in PLC uptime. A machine could be stopped for a week producing nothing but the PLC could be powered up and running. In my experience PLC's run 24/7 without too much problem.