PanelView / NET-ENI

Firejo

o_O I'm trying to talk from a PanelView 1000 to a SLC5/05 using a NET-ENI (for now) and I can't get it to work. I've confirmed that the PV is configured correctly because when I connect through the channel 0 port it works. I've set the node address to 1 which is the address of the SLC. I've configured the NET-ENI table with node 1 pointing to the IP address of the PLC but it doesn't talk. Is there something I'm missing or don't know about?

Clarification:

Are you communicating using the Ethernet port of the PLC? Channel 1?
Switch or Hub? What are your PLC comm setup IP's like? If you run linx, can you see both the processor and the HMI?
If so, then you need to start your application.

Also, is this a PV+ or standard PV. Can you give us the complete catalog
number of your PV? Cables your using, the more info the better the help.

Pv Net-eni

The PV is an older 1000 and is not a “plus”. The firmware running in it is 4.20 and I can’t get to the specific model number with how it is currently mounted. I have read and write tags in the PV that are targeting registers in the SLC. As mentioned in my first thread, when I connect directly to the channel 0 port the program works and I can monitor and control the SLC. When I try to go through the NET-ENI, using the same addressing, it does not work. I’ve checked the addressing in the NET-ENI and all matches. The tags in the PV are looking for node 1. The node table in the NET-ENI has node one pointed to the IP address of the SLC.

Pv Net-eni

I forgot to mention. I'm using the PM02 cable used to program the NET-ENI to connect it to the PV. I've put a break out box in-line to confirm that the pin out is correct.

If its a 5/05 why not use the ethernet port on the processor.
What series number is the ENI adapter. Doesn't series D talk ethernetI/P?

I'm confused here.
Are you using an AIC module, to connect with DH-485 or are you using an ENET adapter to communicate via serially through channel 0? OR are you trying to make a point to point communciation between the PLC and HMI via an Ethernet Crossover cable from Channel1 to HMI?

You should explain about your harware a little clearer.......

If you are doing what I think you are doing...it will never work.

(Note: An AIC adapter converts SERIAL to DH-485 protocol, supports up to 32 nodes)
(An ENET module is for converting SERIAL to Ethernet,)
What are you actually using here?

Last edited:
Pv Net-eni

Here’s the layout. I’m using an older PanelView 1000 that does not have an Ethernet port. I’ve setup the PV to communicate to the SLC5/05 using DF1 full duplex. When connected to the channel 0 port, everything works fine. However the channel 0 port will be used in the application as a user port so I’m going to connect the PV to the SLC via a NET-ENI (not an NET-AIC). The NET-ENI is configured with an address translation table routing any address for node 1, which the tags in the PV are configured to talk to, to the IP address of the PLC. I’ve done this a hundred times with Mircologix where the PV would be (Micrologix 1000 to SLC using a NET-ENI). It’s worth noting that I’ve also tried using node 0 instead of node 1 without any differences.

You can't use the same cable which connects a PC to the NET-ENI as the connection from the Panelview to the NET-ENI. The COM ports on the PC and the Panelview are of the opposite type (DCE - DTE). The proof of this is that the programming cable from the PC to the Panelview is straight-through. You need a different cable or at least a null-modem for the Panelview.

Pv Net-eni

The cable from the NET-ENI is not directly connected to the PV but rather through a null cable. I’ve confirmed the pin out using a breakout box which shows the TX, RX and ground lines are all correct. I’ve got the PV configured for no handshaking as will as the NET-ENI

I Fixed It!!!

I solved the problem without solving it per-say.

I gave up on the NET-ENI module and went back to the modem that will be in the application. It's really nothing more than a test application for testing a new product (the modem). When I first started testing I could not get a connection through the modem so I went to the NET-ENI module to set a baseline. So anyway, I went back to the modem again with no communications. On a hunch, I tried setting handshaking in the PV to "ON" and low and behold off it took (communications started working). I’m not sure why this works. The modem is not providing handshaking lines but beggars can’t be choosy so I’m off.

On a note, even with handshaking "on" the NET-ENI would not work (I tried it again). I don’t know why and I would be curious if anybody has come across this before.

Thanks to all who replied.

Firejo

I have been following this post with curiosity, because I am not sure I have seen this exact setup before. I have worked with the NET-ENI but not trying to perform reads/writes from a PV standard to a SLC 5/05.

If you have access to a Digi One - IAP, I am curious if it would provide a useable ethernet path. I have heard that the Digi module will do some things that the NET-ENI can't do, and vice versa.

And, thanks for posting the resolution.

Paul

I Fixed It!!!

I’ve tried the Digi device without any success (and have heard that from several other sources as well).
The product I’m testing will work in place of a NET-ENI but it is only for EtherNet/IP to DF1 (no E-mail functions). It is however a wireless Ethernet modem with serial tunneling and/or EtherNet/IP to DF1 functionality (all wrapped into one). So you wouldn’t need to get a modem and a NET-ENI if you have an application where you want to bring a DF1 device (say a PV1000) into an EtherNet/IP network. You can also convert your DF1 network over to EtherNet/IP one device at a time as you can run the EtherNet/IP and DF1 network through the same modem network.
Firejo