Plc remained on stop mode and cannot copy eprom to simatic s5

locus

Hi everybody, I need your help. I have a simatic s5 on a machine, it work perfectly and suddenly we got a problem with it. It remained on stop mode. we try to recopy the eprom, the led flashes continuously.We changed the eprom , then the cpu, the problem is still persisting.Any suggestion is most welcome.Thank you.

Hi,

You do not say what CPU model you have?

Also did the cpu go to stop mode when you made any changes to the program?

Have you checked the Istack/Bstack with the S5 programmer?

When you have extra I/O on the confguration, the problem can be that there is a faulty connection with the modules.

When you give us some more details on your system we can try to give you a custom made answer

Have to agree with Moggie. Unless you're familiar with S5 and you know what to look for physically, you need to get on line with a programmer and check the Istack, especially page 2. This will give you the reason for CPU Stop.

Thank you very much all for your support. The problem i don't have a PG but as per Jstv i have removed all the extra I/O ,insert plug-in properly and replaced the I/O, switched on and suddenly it just become fine.

Sound like it was just a bad card (or card connection)... :nodi:

Do you know the correct procedure to transfer the program from the EPROM to the CPU? I forget the details but it something like "Hold 'NE-RE-OR' switch at 'OR', then flip 'RUN/STOP' switch up to RUN, down to STOP, back to RUN, etc.."

Maybe it worked that time because you happened to get the sequence right?... :confused:

Just an idea.

beerchug

-Eric

Eric and locus,

here is the procedure for loading a program from the memory card to a S5 plc

set the CPU to stop mode
set and hold the 'default/overall reset' button into the or position.
switch the CPU selector switch twice from 'ST' to 'RN'
The stop LED will momentarily go off.
release the overall reset switch and the CPU will now have preformed an overall reset and re-read the program from the eeprom.

Paul

Thanks for refreshing my memory Paul... :D

With a few dozen S5s at my former employer, I thought I had it memorized. It's been almost 10 years since the last time I did it, so I guess it's time to replace that backup battery in my brain... ;)

Now, if I can only remember the part number for that battery... :unsure:

beerchug

-Eric

Eric

That's something I haven't memorised, I never use it anymore. We did have memory cards in our 6 S5's, but because I am always adding modifications to our PLC program's it turned out to be a pain in the butt having the cards, because you cannot edit the program in the PLC with the card in!

So I tossed those cards away! 🔨

Paul