Visual Basic What???

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I know we have VB gurus on this site that is why I am asking this. Where do I start? The boss just asked if I could modify some code. I told him we did not have any software and I can not even spell VB. He said buy what I need and learn the rest.

I plan on buying a VB for dummies book. What software package do I need? I see Visual studio in about 4 different packages. Is that even what I want? I want to learn this stuff and not just have someone else do it for me.

A cut down version of Microsoft's Visual Basic is available FOR FREE (can you imagine) here from Microsoft itself. And there are many links on the site to tutorials.

Last edited:
When I started to develop "automated tools", one of my requirements was that I could support it with what I had - which wasn't much.

So, here came MSWord and MSExcel - and the VBA engine. We don't do any development in VB unless absolutely necessary.

I guess what I am suggesting would be to evaluate what tools you have available for little to no additional cost.

Yes, I do understand that you are picking up an application that is already working/under development and making some change. That does change your options as you move forward with this request.

suggestion: let's define the problem first ...

Greetings Jeff ...

any chance that you could post a sample of the code that you need to modify - and a short description of the type of modifications that need to be made? ...

if I were in your shoes, my personal "game plan" would be to learn "enough" to get the present job done in a timely fashion - and THEN to tackle learning more about VB in general ...

basic idea: you wouldn't want to spend months (literally) learning "bells and whistles" when all that might be necessary is Copying-and-Pasting a few lines of script into an existing project ...

Charles is right, you need to know what version the source code is in. Self learning is good, for the select few. I never could learn coding from a book. Go take a community college class or something.

Self learning is good, for the select few. I never could learn coding from a book. Go take a community college class or something.

Greetings harryting ...

no argument - because I agree completely ... but I've met Jeff ... trust me, he IS one of the "select few" that you're thinking about ... I have full confidence that he could work his way through this subject completely on his own ... give him the software, and the book, and the time, and I guarantee he'll get the job done ...

the only problem MIGHT BE the time element involved ... if the boss expects the code to be "modified" in a day or so, then things could become a little tricky ...

as in most things, we all have to work within a certain boundary of constraints ... financial resources don't seem to be an issue here - but time COULD BE an issue ... only more details will tell for sure ...

Last edited:
there is a big difference between earlier versions (VB5, VB6) and the newer .NET versions (2005, 2008). keep that in mind when choosing literature.

if the project was created before .NET, solution file (*.SLN) will be missing and project file will have .VBP extension instead of .VBPROJ

if the project contains *.SLN file, open it in notepad for example and you will see in plain text what version of VB.NET it was created in.

you can easily convert VB5 project to VB6, just like converting .NET 2005 to 2008.

however, based on what i've seen so far, successfull conversion from older VB to .NET is possible but usually unlikely without rewriting considerable portions of code.

i think you will be extremly lucky to still find VB6 in any shape other than pirated version. ok, just found one on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00002S7HR/ref=dp_olp_0/002-0656716-3324040?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Man you guys are quick. I don't look at this site for 2 hours and you all have sated a punclist of what I need to do.

The version is 5.0 I did open the .vba or .vbp in notepad. That is what the header said anyway.

Ron thank you for the positive support. My game plan is just about the same as what you have laid out. I like having the reference books for reading at night I fall asleep in no time. I plan on ordering the software and using the help file to stumble my way out of this project. The big boss loves to see us take on long jobs with a nice learning curve. The timeline is about 2 weeks from software hitting the door.

I will post the source code in the morning. Sorry I am out of the office already.

I would be more than willing to help you out on the VB 5&6 front, having programmed in it since 1995 and .NET since 2003?

Stu

Panic The 2005~08 studio will not do theold VB stuff. Is that correct? It looks like I will be buying old software then. if that statement is true.

Stu I am sure I will be asking several questions. I will be posting most of them just incase someone is playing along at home that does not want to ask. I may just take you up on the help.

JeffKiper said:
Panic The 2005~08 studio will not do theold VB stuff. Is that correct?

That is correct. You can load it in and try to convert it, but most times it does not work properly. VB.NEt is fundamentally another langauge, it is not like VB5 or 6 at all. I still prefer 5 ot 6 as it is just easier and more reliable for the tings that I have needed it to do.

If you want, upload your code, tell us what you want done, and I will have a look. I think I have VB6 sp6 at home.

Stu

VB6 was when Microsoft got it just about right. A lot of people still use VB6 now and have no desire to "upgrade" to .Net. As an initial learning exercise you could do worse than simply have a play with VBA in Excel. This enables you to get to grips with syntax, properties etc. so you at least know what the code should look like.

Andybr