Connecting to SLC 5

Viks

Hi guys,I have a SLC 5/01 controller at work on a machine which we only once a month and I want to upload the current program and study the correct operation of the machine.The problem is that i cant go online to the controller.The controller has a DH485 communication port and I have a AB USB to DH485 interface converter to connect to it. When I connect the cables to the controller and the PC,aan OK LED lights up on the converter but the USB and the DH485 LED's remain Off.I dont have a manual for this converter and I am completly lost here.Can anyone help me out here please?I missed something,the cable which i used to connect from the converter to the controller is a Allan Bradley cable and it was with the converter.Hope I worded this out right as I'm new to PLC's.Thanks......

Cheers,

Viks........

Greetings Viks ...

first of all, here is the manual for the 1747-USB adapter ...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in063_-en-p.pdf

also, the information in the following thread might be helpful ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?postid=66830#post66830

also ... are you familiar with the fact that you need to set up RSLinx software (configure its driver, etc.) BEFORE you can connect RSLogix500 software to the SLC-5/01 ...

no offense intended - but from what you've posted so far, it's not obvious where you are on the learning curve ... best plan of attack: tell us EXACTLY how you have everything set up so far(particularly RSLinx) ... screen shots are very handy ...

also ... are there other PLCs in the plant that you CAN connect to - or is this the only Allen-Bradley that you have? ...

the more we know about your system, the more detailed help we can offer ... good luck ...

PS Edit ... the whole time I was typing I was thinking to myself: "Mickey's going to beat me to it" ... I was right ...

Greetings Ron...........

Thanks for the info and the links.Yes I am familiar with the fact that RSLinx is required to connect to RSLogix and I already have it configured.I will get you a screen shot as I get to work so you can refer to it and advice me on it. I do have another ControllLogix PLC which I can connect to but that is through a wireless card.Currently I have not done any formal training on PLC's but might be going to NZ soon to get some training.

Thanks to you to Mickey........

Cheers

Viks........

might be going to NZ soon to get some training.

just a tip before you go: make a DETAILED list of the communication hardware (cables, etc.) that you have - as well as the types of platforms (PLC-5, ControlLogix, SLC-5/??, etc.) that you'll be working with back at the plant ... take that list with you ...

reason: there are so many different ways of connecting this stuff together that most “PLC training” classes do not cover the topic of “communications” in much depth at all ...

plan of attack: show your list to the instructor during a break - and ask how much of the subject he can help you with ... if you’re lucky, the lab will have enough equipment on hand to experiment with while you have an instructor available to guide you ... in some cases, a little bit of “after hours” training can also be very helpful ...

even better: if you can, it’s a good idea to take your own communication hardware (cables, etc.) to the class ...

best of all: talk to the instructor BEFORE you leave to take the class ... make sure that you’re going to cover the specific topics and subjects that you need ...

and as always: post your questions here on the forum - with as much DETAIL as possible ... there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here who can give you a hand - for free ...

Thanks for the grate advise Ron.Sorry for replying late,was caught up with something. I have attached screen shots of the RSLinx setup on my PC and also the program window.Hope this hepls.Thanks

Viks.....