PLC 2 and RsLogix software?

Hootnholler

Hey all,

I am trying to decipher if there is any possible way to use RsLogix5 or 500 to view PLC/2 programs, I'm guessing written in the old AI software or dos based plc programs.

I'm sure the easier way to go would be to get a hold of AI or such, and put on a pc running dos, but any input would be greatly appreciated... (yes, pun intended :p )

Hoot

Hootnholler said:
any possible way to use RsLogix5 or 500 to view PLC/2 programs, I'm guessing written in the old AI software or dos based plc programs.

No, you will need to find a copy of the AI or 6200 Series AB software.

I remember a thread in the past about a free PLC 2 third party software package (possibly Windows based). I don't know the website for the download, but I'm sure someone here will.

There is no way. AI for the plc 2 is over $6K now. You can put a plc-5 processor in a plc2 rack. AB can convert the program for you. No idea how much that costs.

If you call the guys at Nelson Elecric, they can give you some pretty good advice. 262-635-5050.
http://www.nelson-elecric.com

Last edited:
To all,

Thank you for your responses, it's pretty much what I had figured...

Rick, thought about Nelson or Holt for some solutions. I believe the company I work for uses 'nova' systems to do the work for them, but trying to get them to update to at least a plc5 or micrologix. Heck, just the money saved in parts would pay for the upgrade...

9, loved your post... roflmao :D

And jrw, that may be the best route, or the easiest one I can talk the company into doing... has anyone used this software before? Looks pretty good!

Hoot

I didn't mean hiring them to do any work. I just meant for the advice. If you just got to do one thing, sometimes they will come out and let you borrow their software of a half hour or so.

Ahhh, now I got ya, Rick! :D

Well, actually, I did think of that originally.. but they are so behind the times where I work and Plc's. It's for a major corporation, they have a lot of money for this, but the maintenance manager/supervisor(s) (yes, plural, that big of a place...) don't seem to get the gist of how they should be setting up for documentation and how to get their mechanics to a position of troubleshooting. They literally are running the gamut of plc2's to new control logix, and even have modems, device net and dh+ running on several machines, but not connected to anything... a virtual playground for me... ;)

Of course, they would like to network this all together, to monitor, they had PLC 5's networked on 2 lines and an ammonia system that went to a remote computer, so that's what they are 'used to'. Well, they never backed up a durned thing and the pc crashed, on top of that, it was a compaq.. I did mention it may be cheaper to do a data recovery off the hard drive (the hd was fubar), but they had all ready scrapped the machine, their IT department couldn't rescue it, so it was junk :rolleyes:

Soooo, I come in as a mechanic/electrician with plc abilities and have this kinda dropped into my lap. I don't get a lot of time to play with it, since most of my job is 'putting out fires' and trying to document, they see me sitting with a laptop, trying to get in descriptors, and making backups, well, I'm wasting our time... I'm sure most of us know what that's like... Literally, I guessed it would take approximately 3 months to just get it so they can hook a laptop up to the plc's they have, hard copies, backups (on and off site) and some training for the current staff to at least hookup and get all the connectors they need.

After all that, have one laptop with windows 98, rslogix5 and 500, with rslinx. Then, one machine with a plc2. I've dabbled with the 2's before, but never got 'heavy duty' into them... That's when I posted my question. From my limited knowledge, I knew that you couldn't hook up 5 or 500 to a plc2, needed 6200 or AI, but thought I'd throw it out there... You guys rock at this stuff!

In the PLC game of life, I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut. Thank you all for your help! :D

Hoot

Well, Hootnholler, did you check out the link that I was referring to and jrwb4gbm posted?

I remember seeing this software brought up in threads before, but I have never heard from anyone that has actually used it. The last PLC 2's that I have to support were scrapped late 2000,(and yes, I am glad) or I would have downloaded and tried it.

You're welcome for the input I gave you...