Older than me S5 help :) !

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

I came across an old rack mounted 6ES5 250 video card today

The card is fine, the monitor has died :(

Firstly where can i get a manual on one of these ?

Secondly whats the output and can i get another crt/monitor to plug into this ?

Thirdly the customer has had someone else play with this for over 2 months and they have put an lcd screen on it with an interface card, it doesnt work! The 6ES5 250 is ok because if you remove it and swop it onto an adjacent machine with a good crt then it works fine.

The system is running an old italian injection moulder

504bloke said:
Older than me

Sure - if you say so... ;)

Seriously though Dave - you might be better getting the monitor part number and talking to someone like CNC Monitors

*FYI*
S5-210 Microcomputer System:
6ES5250-1AA11 Monitor (Provit) interface module (basic)
6ES5250-1AA31 Monitor (Provit) interface module (with keyboard i/f)

krk said:
Sure - if you say so... ;)

Seriously though Dave - you might be better getting the monitor part number and talking to someone like CNC Monitors

*FYI*
6ES5250-1AA11 Monitor (Provit) interface module (basic)
6ES5250-1AA31 Monitor (Provit) interface module (with keyboard i/f)

It is the monitor module with the keyboard (left the part number at the office and i was running from memory fuelled by red wine :) )

I did think of phoning you yesterday to ask if you knew the s5 module but thought id post here and not hassle you as i already owe you a few pints!!

Thanks for the CNC monitors link, the customer had lost the old monitor, chap doing the lcd took it away and didnt come back with it!! but apparently they may well get it back tomorrow.

The old monitor (on the working machine) is Italian and the board has no make on it, all i can say is it has no siemens part numbers on the board or monitor.

krk said:

I did look at all the cards and didnt spot a 210 part number, what looked like a processor had an 6ES5 921 code on it though.

Have you had anything to do with the S5-210 as its more your era ;) !

504bloke said:
Have you had anything to do with the S5-210 as its more your era ;) !

You cheeky young whippersnapper!

I can only remember ever seeing one installed system and even then I didn't get to work on it.

I've searched through my old S5 archive stuff and can't find any more info - have you spoken to Russell W? ...he might be able to put you in touch with someone who knows a bit more.

Kev

krk said:
You cheeky young whippersnapper!

I can only remember ever seeing one installed system and even then I didn't get to work on it.

I've searched through my old S5 archive stuff and can't find any more info - have you spoken to Russell W? ...he might be able to put you in touch with someone who knows a bit more.

Kev

Havent spoken to Russ but have spoken to Manchester, they denied it was siemens at first, after some digging they came back and said it ceased production in 91 and was obsolete in 2001 and they have no known records and were not interested :) !

Have now contacted a german friend of mine to get onto siemens in germany.

Basically i have spoken with the cnc monitor guys and yes they can help but need to know what the output from the S5 250 card is ie frequencies, sycns, sync-on-green etc etc

So if anyone reading this has a tech spec on a 6ES5 250-1AA31 it would be a great help !

I still find it hard to believe that siemens dont archive these old manuals on their site!

Gil47 said:

QUESTION
As you are only 17, who is supplying you with red wine. :)

TESCO :) At the checkout served by kevin (krk) :) He works there in his part time while attending college retraining ;)

Last edited: