configuring new dp slave

clever

hello im hoping someone can help me with the hardware configuration of a new slve on my profibus network. the slaves are telemecanique motor management controllers (mmc). i have set up the mmc and assigned it with address 6 and in the hardware config of my program downloaded the gsd file and assigned the mmc slave with the same address. yet when i go online to check the hardware config i have an error code for the mmc:

module configured but not available
expected type: dp slave
current type: not available

hoping somone can tell me what the problem is please???
had the same problem with trying to install a dp/dp coupler

The hardware config has been sucsessfull as your PLC expects to find the slave.

After checking the cables, get your programmer online to the profibus network and use the Accessible Nodes button in Simatic Manager (third button from left). This will show you all that is connected to the profibus and the node numbers. The only exception is that this may not show you that you have two nodes at the same address.

Nick

thanks for your replys, i have checked the cables and they appear fine...
will the nodes show up when i check for accessible nodes if the cable or plugs are faulty? i presume not, and both addresses are showing up when i check for accessible nodes...

so, the nodes are available and should i now assume everything is correct from the plc side?
could be somethin to do with the comms configuration of the mmc?

Hmmm...

It sounds like the cabling is OK or you wouldn't see the slaves using Accessible Nodes but it is possible that the connection is intermittent so a thorough check of he cabling is reccomended.

Topology: A Profibus network may consist of several segments connected together by repeaters. Each segment should be implemented as a bus with a terminating resistor (220ohms)at each end and without any spurs. There should not be more than 31 slaves on any one segment.

Terminators: For each segment, check the terminating resistors and cable continuity with a multi-meter on ohms. With the power off or all slaves disconnected, connect your meter at one end of the bus segemnt and check the resistance; one resistor should measure 220ohms two resistors should measure 110 ohms etc. Switch the terminating resistors off one at a time to ensure that you see the expected change in bus resistance.

The other posibility is that you don't have the right GSD file for the device in your hardware config. I would suggest that you check with Telemecanique.

Good luck,

Nick