Happy 4th - all

Thanks.
Me & my family did. We got to go to the Freedom Festival & see Miley Cyrus (AKA Hannah Montana) LIVE.
My daughters (7&5) had the greatest time eva!

E pluribus, unum

Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa....

That's the sound of the CH-47 Chinook twin-rotor helicopter of 159th Regiment, "A" Company, Army Reserve out of Fort Lewis that they use to fly a sixty-foot American flag over Lake Union, tracked by a spotlight, prior to the Anthem and the fireworks display.

I stood on the gas dock on Northlake Avenue in Seattle and held my salute until she passed downrange.

That's the sort of thing we build in peacetime.

Sweet! With any luck I'll get to jump out of one of those guys this month!

Ken Roach said:
Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa....

That's the sound of the CH-47 Chinook twin-rotor helicopter of 159th Regiment, "A" Company, Army Reserve out of Fort Lewis that they use to fly a sixty-foot American flag over Lake Union, tracked by a spotlight, prior to the Anthem and the fireworks display.

I stood on the gas dock on Northlake Avenue in Seattle and held my salute until she passed downrange.

That's the sort of thing we build in peacetime.

PeterW said:
what's so special about the 4th anyway ???

Peter -- I think the title says it all "Independance Day" It is the day we celebrate gaining our independence.

I think we should also take the time to recognize and honor those who have become American citizens today. It is special to me because I work with one.

Dan Bentler

leitmotif said:
Peter -- I think the title says it all "Independance Day" It is the day we celebrate gaining our independence.
That isn't quite right. The colonies declared independence on Independence Day. King George III objected so it took a long war. From the time of Concord to Yorktown, independence was in dispute. After their defeat at Yorktown the Brits finally gave up and recognized the 'colonies' independence. Signing the paper isn't really as important as making it stick and mean something. Perhaps we are celebrating the wrong day.

Peter
Didn't the papers get final signatures on the 6? I remember something about Ben Franklin not being present when the everyone else signed.

Peter Nachtwey said:
That isn't quite right. The colonies declared independence on Independence Day. King George III objected so it took a long war. From the time of Concord to Yorktown, independence was in dispute. After their defeat at Yorktown the Brits finally gave up and recognized the 'colonies' independence. Signing the paper isn't really as important as making it stick and mean something. Perhaps we are celebrating the wrong day.

Peter thanks for refreshing my history. That is why I put it so "sketchilly" could not remember when War of Independence ended.

Dan

Who's to say which is "more important"? Declaring independence was certainly significant, regardless of the date of official recognition. Which day would you celebrate for "After their defeat at Yorktown"?

Peter Nachtwey said:
Signing the paper isn't really as important as making it stick and mean something. Perhaps we are celebrating the wrong day.

The 4th is in the middle of the summer.

The weather is usually good for just about any outdoor community activity. One could even call it 'hot dog' day. I heard on the news that 150 million hot dogs get eaten on the 4th. ( That is a lot of saturated fat ) The 'Treaty of Paris' is too close to Thanksgiving. Obviously the 4th of July is a better day for a celebration. Just remember there were over 6 more years before the Declaration of Independence was recognized by the Brits.

I am just trying to make people think past the hot dogs, beer and fireworks.

freedom isn't free ...

I think that the main thing that too often gets missed is that the signers were boldly declaring their independence from a king - and from the king’s point of view, such action falls under the heading of treason ... since this was a capital offense, the signers were knowingly - and willingly - signing their own death warrants ...

I can’t help but wonder if such an action would stand a chance of success today ... the armed forces put out a report recently that only 28% of Americans of high school age are even acceptable for recruitment ... more than seven out of ten are either too obese, are functionally illiterate, or have a drug habit ... scary that less than three out of ten would be capable of defending the country ...

personally, I thank God daily for those who are capable - and who are willing to serve ...