Adding comments to RSL5K UDT import file.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have created a UDT import file for RSLogix 5000 that imports a bit overlay UDT. What I can't find is how to add documenting comments to the XML code for the UDT.

Does anyone know how to do this, I want to add a header section to the file that is ignored on import.

Code:
* I WANT TO INSERT SOME *
* REMARKS RIGHT HERE AT THE *
* TOP OF THIS FILE TO DESCRIBE THE FILE *
* AND VERSION *

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<RSLogix5000Content SchemaRevision="1.0" SoftwareRevision="16.03" TargetType="DataType" ContainsContext="true" Owner="Alaric" ExportDate="Mon Jul 07 14:39:05 2008" ExportOptions="Context">
<Controller Use="Context" Name="C4_50266KN_PRESS">
<DataTypes Use="Context">
<DataType Use="Target" Name="STATE" Family="NoFamily" Class="User">
<Members>
<Member Name="STATE_NO" DataType="DINT" Dimension="0" Radix="Decimal" Hidden="false"/>
<Member Name="STATE" DataType="INT" Dimension="0" Radix="Decimal" Hidden="false"/>
<Member Name="NOT_DEFINED" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Decimal" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="0"/>
<Member Name="STATE_1" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="1"/>
<Member Name="STATE_2" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="2"/>
<Member Name="STATE_3" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="3"/>
<Member Name="STATE_4" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="4"/>
<Member Name="STATE_5" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="5"/>
<Member Name="STATE_6" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="6"/>
<Member Name="STATE_7" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="7"/>
<Member Name="STATE_8" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="8"/>
<Member Name="STATE_9" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="9"/>
<Member Name="STATE_10" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="10"/>
<Member Name="STATE_11" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="11"/>
<Member Name="STATE_12" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="12"/>
<Member Name="STATE_13" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="13"/>
<Member Name="STATE_14" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="14"/>
<Member Name="STATE_15" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="STATE" BitNumber="15"/>
<Member Name="TRANS" DataType="INT" Dimension="0" Radix="Decimal"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_1" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="1"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_2" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="2"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_3" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="3"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_4" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="4"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_5" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="5"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_6" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="6"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_7" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="7"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_8" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="8"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_9" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="9"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_10" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="10"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_11" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="11"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_12" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="12"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_13" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="13"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_14" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="14"/>
<Member Name="BEGIN_STATE_15" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Binary" Hidden="false" Target="TRANS" BitNumber="15"/>
</Members>
</DataType>
</DataTypes>
</Controller>
</RSLogix5000Content>

1. What happens if you attempt to import the file directly as you have shown it?

2. if you want to add some information in XML format I suggest using 'XMLNotepad', a free utility from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en

3. Try adding in your comments at various places but I would suspect that the most acceptable would be after the xml declaration at the top and the next line declaring 'RSLogix5000 Content'

4. I understand that future versions of RSLogix will allow creating and editing the overlay type UDTs from within RSLogix.

Greetings Bernie.

The UDT bit overlay imports just fine without the comments. However I wanted to add documentation to the file for future reference without having to delete lines should I reuse the file.

Yeah, I know, thats my OCD. 🍺

The normal XML comment format is <!-- Comment --> and it cannot be on the first line. However anywhere in the file causes it to fail, even when placed at the end of the file. I guess its possible that the import doesn't support the XML comment.

Overlay support in future versions would be a good thing. Another thing that is needed is UDT aliasing.

Last edited: