Wonderware's InTouch 9.5 Undefiened Tags --------Help

kingofdallas

Hi All....
I'm looking for a way to find all undefiened tags on my wonderware application?.....

Please Help...

Thanks for All....

First:

Menu > Special > Update Use Counts...

Then:

Menu > Special > Delete Unused Tags...

...will list all tagnames that InTouch sees as 'unused'

This is not as useful as it seems though as it lists all defined tagnames that are not used in any script, animation etc.

If you have tags that are used, for example, only to display an alarm when active then these are seen also as 'unused'

What do you mean?

Unused tags (tags that you have created but not used)? If so, in Windowmaker go to Special, Update Use Counts, then Delete Unused Tags.

OR

Objects that have placeholder tags in them (IE: ?d:Blink)? That's a little more tedious as the only way I know is to go in each window, script, quick function, etc., press F2 to select all then CTRL-E for replace tags and look for any placeholders.

krk said:
First:

Menu > Special > Update Use Counts...

Then:

Menu > Special > Delete Unused Tags...

...will list all tagnames that InTouch sees as 'unused'

This is not as useful as it seems though as it lists all defined tagnames that are not used in any script, animation etc.

If you have tags that are used, for example, only to display an alarm when active then these are seen also as 'unused'

VERY IMPORTANT what krk says here. Don't assume that a tag that shows up in unused tags is NOT USED. Another example are tags formed in scripting through indirects. These will also show up as unused. For that reason, I will often create a dummy condition script that never executes (something like 1 == 2) and fill this script with these tags so they don't show up in the unused count. Also a slick way to force I/O servers to update the tags as even though the condition script never fires, it forces wonderware to update their values.

Thanks

first I want to thank you all....for the reply...

I mean I have some screens and scripts I imported but they have some tags on them are undefiened....I want to know all of them so I can go through each one to define it...

Thanks

Then as I noted above. Open the imported window/script, F2, CTRL-E, and click convert, LOCAL. When you close the window, wonderware will prompt you to create each tag. Don't forget to check each script of each window too (the on open, while running and on close). I know of no way to globally list all placeholder tags.

Didn't work...?

Robertmee.
Thank you for your help but it doesn't seem worked I went to open a window with script and I pressed F2 nothing happen then I pressed CTR+E nothing happen ...I don't know If I'm missing something in these steps ...Do I have to select any text or somthing...you steps are not clear to me...
Thanks for the advise....

kingofdallas said:
Robertmee.
Thank you for your help but it doesn't seem worked I went to open a window with script and I pressed F2 nothing happen then I pressed CTR+E nothing happen ...I don't know If I'm missing something in these steps ...Do I have to select any text or somthing...you steps are not clear to me...
Thanks for the advise....

Be sure to click once in the window somewhere to make it the active window. Depending on how you opened it, it may not be. The F2 is a select all and will select all objects in the active window. The CTRL-E is tag replace which will bring up a dialog of all your tags on that window. Using the Convert/Local will change all the tags that currently are undefined with placeholders to tags of the same name minus the placeholder designation. When you try to close that dialog you will then be prompted to create each tag that's missing.

Taking a step back to the OP - why do we care so much about unused tags?

It seems silly to have to fill your application with trivial expressions. I can just imagine working on someone elses program after the fact. Why is this (1==2) in there? To not show up as an UNUSED tag? To force an update that intuition would suggest should be: automatic, a property of the tag, or a property of the scan class/driver/etc? When I run across hacks like that it raises the red flag that there are cheesy problems. That's not to say that your "trick" isn't useful - only that it shouldn't be necessary. Why am I saying this? Just to point out that this kind of feedback should make it back to the vendor for a clean fix. We can do our part in creating high quality industrial software.

robertmee said:
Don't assume that a tag that shows up in unused tags is NOT USED. Another example are tags formed in scripting through indirects. These will also show up as unused. For that reason, I will often create a dummy condition script that never executes (something like 1 == 2) and fill this script with these tags so they don't show up in the unused count. Also a slick way to force I/O servers to update the tags as even though the condition script never fires, it forces wonderware to update their values.

I think part of why indirectly addressed tags don't show up as used is because you can actually concatenate strings together to "build" the name of the tag to reference indirectly. I.e., you don't have to specifically, exactly tell it the whole tag name, you can use variables when building an indirect reference...

Yes, it's something they ought to fix and deal with, but it's something you can deal with after you learn it. Unfortunately, you often learn that the hard way. By deleting a bunch of "unused tags"... (Been there, done that.)

True - Indirect tags memory location is necessarily determined at runtime, so the system will never be able to predict if their targets are being "used" or not.

OZEE said:
I think part of why indirectly addressed tags don't show up as used is because you can actually concatenate strings together to "build" the name of the tag to reference indirectly. I.e., you don't have to specifically, exactly tell it the whole tag name, you can use variables when building an indirect reference...

Yes, it's something they ought to fix and deal with, but it's something you can deal with after you learn it. Unfortunately, you often learn that the hard way. By deleting a bunch of "unused tags"... (Been there, done that.)

surferb said:
Taking a step back to the OP - why do we care so much about unused tags?

It seems silly to have to fill your application with trivial expressions. I can just imagine working on someone elses program after the fact. Why is this (1==2) in there? To not show up as an UNUSED tag? To force an update that intuition would suggest should be: automatic, a property of the tag, or a property of the scan class/driver/etc? When I run across hacks like that it raises the red flag that there are cheesy problems. That's not to say that your "trick" isn't useful - only that it shouldn't be necessary. Why am I saying this? Just to point out that this kind of feedback should make it back to the vendor for a clean fix. We can do our part in creating high quality industrial software.

Well, (1==2) is there because it is documented as to its reason in the script itself. No surprises. Beyond that, you are preaching to the choir. I've complained to Intouch since version 5.x about the issue of indirect tags not updating in various I/O servers when the tags references are created during runtime. Yes, there is the alternate workaround of declaring the tags as Always all active, but even that isn't 100%. However, the above method is foolproof and has worked for 10 years. It was actually a 'solution' by wonderware tech support themselves. It is an unfortunate bandaid that I wish I didn't have to apply. You got a better method, I'm all ears!

Yeah - I understand. I'm not meaning to sound argumentative - in fact I totally agree with you. Sounds like a bug of theirs that, for whatever reason, they are unwilling or unable to address. Fixes like that will always be necessary at some phase of WYSIWYG application development - the key is that you as a consumer should be able to expect that developers update such deficiencies. To the extent that these continue to exist (10 years being beyond rediculous), these secret handshake band aids will remain your only option. Not like we need "job security" that bad...

robertmee said:
Well, (1==2) is there because it is documented as to its reason in the script itself. No surprises. Beyond that, you are preaching to the choir. I've complained to Intouch since version 5.x about the issue of indirect tags not updating in various I/O servers when the tags references are created during runtime. Yes, there is the alternate workaround of declaring the tags as Always all active, but even that isn't 100%. However, the above method is foolproof and has worked for 10 years. It was actually a 'solution' by wonderware tech support themselves. It is an unfortunate bandaid that I wish I didn't have to apply. You got a better method, I'm all ears!

Wonderware Intouch 10 - help - how to include pdf file in application

Hi,

I would like to include one pdf file in may InTuch application.

How can I do it?

I will have one button and with left click on mouse the desired pdf file will opened.

Thanks.