Connecting to SLC 5/03 through RS232, using DH485.

Jeev

Hello all,

I had an old machine come back in for some work. The system has an SLC 5/03 which connects to a PanelView 600 through it's CH0 serial port. I believe CH0 is set up to use DH485, but when I unplug the PanelView and plug in my laptop I can't seem to connect to the PLC in RSLinx (Classic Ver 2.50.00.20). I'm using a USB to Serial converter, along with a null modem cable, which I've had no problem with on any other SLC i've tried connecting to, but they've always just used DF1. Is there a different driver I should be using in RSLinx? I pretty much went through every driver that made sense to me, and still no luck connecting.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated,
Jeev.

Just a guess here. Try deleting all the drivers, then, install just the DF1 driver for RS232. Next manually try these baud rates 1200, 9600, 19,200, 38,400 and 57,600. Also be sure in the device box change it to SLC/CH0/Micro/PanelView. Certain USB to serial converter will work, some will not. Keyspan 19W has a good reputation. One last thing, be sure to fully reboot computer after deleting and re-installing the drivers before trying to connect.This might not be necessary but works for me. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
First of all tell us the complete catalog number of your PV. This will let us know the protocol its using.
If in fact the SLC's channel 0 is configued for DH485 then you will need
the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. This driver will only work with a real serial port. It will not work with a USB to Serial adapter.

Do you have the SLC's offline file to check its port configuration?

Last edited:
CH0 is configured for DH485 at a Baud of 19200 on the SLC, so the DF1 driver probably won't be of any use. My laptop doesn't have a serial port so if you say that the 1747-PIC/AIC driver will not work over a USB-Serial converter then I'll just have to find a laptop with a serial port on it. I've got my hands on a 1747-PIC, but again if the driver won't work through USB, then there's not much use in that either.

Ahh well. AB comms strikes again.

Cheers guys.