Newbie needs help config. ANALOG I/O SLC500

traveltyme

Teaching my self AB programming. Doing pretty good untill I got to Analog! Can anybody help w/ type of logic needed (register add. etc.)to for analog i/o, For mu purpose NOW, 4-20 in 4-20 out-SLC503
Thanks in advance!
Ray

what modules do you have available? ... the setups are different with different modules ...

give exact catalog numbers please ... (example: 1746-NI4, etc.) ...

PS Edit ... one of the simplest "beginner" exercises that I use is to have the students physically wire an output directly to an input ... then manually enter the correct values into the correct output data location to drive the input data up and down ... since the analog output and the analog input (usually) have different scaling ranges, then the SCP instruction comes in handy along the way ...

Last edited:
1746-NO4I 2ch I/O. Have Module cat. sheet with ALL calcs/ Logic, but a bit overwhelmed with (way to much?) info--- For demonstartive (and simple) Scale function w/ s/f (rate?) to give me 4-20 in to 0-whatever out
Ray

best plan of attack: wire analog output Channel 0 directly to analog input Channel 0 ... if you have a milliammeter handy, wire it in series into the circuit so that you can easily monitor the actual current flow ...

once you’ve got that done, fire everything up and give me a call ... I’ll walk you through the rest ... should take only five or ten minutes to talk through - but WAY more time than I have available right now for typing ...

That way I'm bypassing the processor and NOT useing any programming functions! correct? Not learning anything there---- Ron, if you would be so kind, do have a snippet of SLC analog program you can email me, I can evaluate it.
[email protected]
CHEERS'
RAY

it's a "beginner" exercise ...

basic ideas:

learn how to get an analog signal IN from the field ... learn how to scale and evaluate it ...

learn how to scale and process an analog output signal ... learn how to send it OUT to the field ...

once those highly important skills have been mastered, (ten - fifteen minutes) then it's time to start worrying about processing ...

PS Edit ... there are lots of samples of code in the manuals below ... or just give me a call and I'll walk you through the "fast track" ...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um009_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1746-in008_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
You are correct!
I have some experience w/ scaling in-out, V-I lev. to eng. units and so forth, but baffled on how to do the I/O modules (internally) to talk.
Have loop sim./ multi meter and can provide sim/read.
Ray

but baffled on how to do the I/O modules (internally) to talk.

then let’s remove the bafflement ...

Have loop sim./ multi meter and can provide sim/read.

great! ... hook something up for an input ... hook something up for an output ... then pick up the phone and give me a call ...

once we’re done, then you can turn around and type up a nice description of what you did - and post the sample code - and “close the loop” to help out other people who will read this in the future ...

leaving soon for the rest of the day ... and I’m pretty much typed out for now ... the arthritis isn’t getting any better ...