Off Again

Bruce99

Hi
Here we are again unemployed. This is three times in 7 months. In the last 6 weeks one pulpmill, an
OSB plant and two sawmills have shut down forever. This puts the number laid off over 5000 here in northern BC.
I have put some pics here of the mill. There is new and very old. The neon light edgers require 5.25"
floppies and the new disks we find do not read in the old drives. I remember problems like this and tried single density disks, some worked, most don't. The burner I programmed with the help of people here. The canter scanner uses analog scan heads. I am told by teck support there are only 4 in operation in North America. This is the
stupidest way to square a cant that I can think of. With no top or bottom head on the machine before,there is little choice. I was working on a fix to the problem when we got our pinks. The trimmer sorter and stacker here
are new and efficient. They require only 2 people to operate. Enjoy the pics.

Cantscanw.jpg
Canter
edger01w.jpg
Edger
Headrigw.jpg
Headrig 20" and over

Burnera.jpg
Burner
Burnerq.JPG
Burner running
Sorterq.jpg
Sorter
Trimmsawq.jpg
Trimsaw

Last edited:
Except for construction, the area where we live is thriving. It's all food industry and smelting plants making car wheels. We have had 2 jobs in my department advertised for almost a year. The refrigeration department is down 3 people, the over time is killing the 3 left having to cover 24/7. Dirty jobs either way but pays the bills.

Peter Nachtwey said:
The oil and gas industry is the only one I know that is growing at a significant rate.

Understatement of the day.
Last October I predicted we would double our capacity by the end of 2008. I should have predicted mid 2008. Based on equipment orders already placed, doubling isn't going to be enough. There are several other posters here who are also in oil field service industries. They are also seeing phenomenal growth. Unfortunately for the rest of the economy, thats also not likely to change for quite some time.

I'm sorry to hear about the situation in the Pacific North West lumber industry though. That's tough. I always was fascinated by mill automation - you guys do some 'really kewl' stuff.

Yup had issues here my part of the world with Construction related industries. Got layed off about 6 months ago but found another job in a food manufacturer. So now things are going good. Looking for 3 maint techs atm. Seems like food industries are the way to go as long as its not a meatpacking plant.

GL to you all that are looking for jobs.

Bruce

Kinda surprised to see you guys still have a wigwam burner. Need some environmental tree huggin activists from Seattle? We are willing to share a surplus with you.

Sorry to hear that the timber fluctuation beast has bit again. They are talkin fire season here in Wa already (seems early in season) so loggers will be hoot owlin (or shut down). Think it will pick up in fall to overcome shortage from summer logging restrictions?

Dan Bentler

I was surprised to see the burner myself. We disassembled ours over 10 years ago. Besides, wood waste is worth a little something now. The housing industry needs to start to recover soon or you're going to see a lot more of this. Our salesmen are starting to have trouble moving lumber.

wirepuller134

Just where is Chickendale?

Except for construction, the area where we live is thriving. It's all food industry and smelting plants making car wheels. We have had 2 jobs in my department advertised for almost a year. The refrigeration department is down 3 people, the over time is killing the 3 left having to cover 24/7. Dirty jobs either way but pays the bills.
I think NWA is doing better than most of the country. I also think it will get worse before it gets better.

Great pics Bruce, keep your chin up.

boardmaker said:
I was surprised to see the burner myself. We disassembled ours over 10 years ago. Besides, wood waste is worth a little something now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't operating a wigwam burner prohibited in the US now?

I believe it is. I remember seeing one at every sawmill. A lot of non wood industries are putting in sawdust boilers so I'm very surprised they burned anything. That's the beautiful thing about this industry. Nothing is wasted. Not to mention, the US is really just starting to develop it's wood cellulose ethanol. At least that's what I read. I had heard some figures about how much ethanol can be extracted from a ton of wood chips and it seemed quite profitable. The figures were vague though. It didn't even say which species of wood or any other variables. At least we wouldn't be turning our food to fuel. Rob Peter, pay Paul

wirepuller134 said:

Food industry is almost recession proof. People still have to eat and drink. Our company not only survived the recession in the early '90s but grew during that period. Automotive is taking a beating in the Toronto area. GM truck plant is scheduled to close for good next year. Small feeder companies to automative closing as well. Toronto is like the Detroit of Canada.

Chickendale as its referred to here, is Springdale Arkansas. Home of Tyson, Georges, Simmons and Cargill. More are in the surrounding area including Butterball in Huntsville I think. Several home builders have gone bankrupt including our bank, Arkansas National Bank. Never keep your entire IRA in one spot.....hard lesson to learn. We rolled our entire retirement from the Army when I retired last March into the bank. But as a whole the area is thriving except for construction. Hope conditions get better in everyone elses area, but I fear the worst, which is why we came here when we were no longer attached to the Army.

wirepuller134

We just return from Springdale.We installed 2 new robots for Newly Weds Foods.
The area realy chaged from my last visit on 2000.
It took me 23 hour to get there from here.(and return)but it was nice visit.

Plant I work at is holding steady (meat packing / lunch deli meats). Area is growing a little, have a poultry plant coming within the next year as well as an aerospace plant as well.

This area was hit hard few years back when Textiles started going overseas....