need Rsview help

Mpoon

A simple question. How to make a free running timer in Rsview screen (memory tag), that runs from 0->60->0->60 or 0->100->100 non stop? I believe most of people will do it in PLC with the timer XIO DN bit to restart the timer, and display it in screen. I like to have an RsView project run on memory tag without PLC connection.

Thank you in advance...

as robertmee said, it can be done with the Derived Tags feature ... if you have the "built in" samples file available (the one that comes with RSView32) take a look at how the "Automotive Motion" tag is done ... (I'm going by memory - but I think that's the name of the tag that advances all of the little cars through the assembly line) ... also ... if you haven't already worked your way through those samples, then you really ought to try it ... you can learn a LOT by dissecting the animations to see what makes them tick ...

“0 to 59 is easy. Create a Derived tag whose expression is system\second MOD 60“

Thank you for your reply. it work, However, it do not need a Derived Tags. A numeric display with the system tag, "system\second" then it will run non stop from 0->60->0 (it uses the computer CUP time clock)

The reason I asked. I have a button on the screen that sets a memory Tag to "1" and "Pause" for 20 seconds (or longer) then set the Tag back to "0".
What I want to do is, as soon as the memory Tag is set to "1". a numeric display for the 20 second count down start display from 20,19,18,.......1,0. if this is work-able, I don't need to program any logic in PLC code.

Last edited:
Ron Beaufort said:
as robertmee said, it can be done with the Derived Tags feature ... if you have the "built in" samples file available (the one that comes with RSView32) take a look at how the "Automotive Motion" tag is done ... (I'm going by memory - but I think that's the name of the tag that advances all of the little cars through the assembly line) ... also ... if you haven't already worked your way through those samples, then you really ought to try it ... you can learn a LOT by dissecting the animations to see what makes them tick ...

Thank you for your replpy. your are right. there is a lot of good stuff in the sample file. I will take look for it,,, Thanks

Last edited:
Mpoon said:
“0 to 59 is easy. Create a Derived tag whose expression is system\second MOD 60“

Thank you for your reply. it work, However, it do not need a Derived Tags. A numeric display with the system tag, "system\second" then it will run non stop from 0->60->0 (it uses the computer CUP time clock)

The reason I asked. I have a button on the screen that sets a memory Tag to "1" and "Pause" for 20 seconds (or longer) then set the Tag back to "0".
What I want to do is, as soon as the memory Tag is set to "1". a numeric display for the 20 second count down start display from 20,19,18,.......1,0. if this is work-able, I don't need to program any logic in PLC code.

I'd still likely use a derived tag. The example of system\second MOD 60 is just to show you that using MOD you can come up with various timers in coordination with the system tag. Of course, 0 to 59 is just the system\second tag (you don't need MOD 60), but to spark the thought process I included the MOD 60. You could do MOD 20 and get a 20 second timer, MOD 10 to get a 10 second timer, etc.

If you need a timer to start counting down exactly when your memory tag goes '1' (IE start at 20 and count down), then you'll likely need to use events in conjunction with derived tags.