Solid State Relays

Jon R

Hi,

I am thinking of using SSRs rather than normal relays on some PLC outputs to switch hydraulic solenoids that are rated at 30W/24Vdc, due to the better life of the SSR as this system will be used very frequently. The hirschmann connectors for the solenoids also have a supression circuit built in.

Not used SSRs before so looking for a bit of guidance on this.

Our panels are mostly built using Telemecanique parts and I have found the ABS 2SC02EB in their catalogue. Has anybody used these before, and what are they like?

Jon.

Jon R said:
Our panels are mostly built using Telemecanique parts and I have found the ABS 2SC02EB in their catalogue. Has anybody used these before, and what are they like?

Very reliable - have used them for many years without a single failure.

I've found solid state relays in general are extremely reliable in the power range you are talking about. The two brands I have used most are Omron and Weidmuller, so consider those as well if you have a supplier.

We always use MURR Electronik ones, they are DIN Rail mounting and only 6mm wide... we often have a relay bank with SPCO relays and SSR's at the end.

Think they are only about £8 each but well worth the added cost!

Also dont forget you can always fit a reverse biasing diode to smooth out the arking effect on the relay contacts, very usefull on high DC current applications such as brakes and valves etc.