Compactlogix HELP

JoHnny23

Hello, I am new to the PLC world, and aquired a compactlogix L32E, from a job that I did. I have played around with PLC's but I want to implement this in my home to control everything from malibu lighting, turning on the lights when I walk in the door to controlling my irrigation system. BTW I am an electrician. Anyways I cannot figure out how to get on, I have a usb to serial converter, and crossover cable and have had no luck with either. How do I set the ip address, and such? I have version 15.01 of rslogix. If someone could guide me through this small problem it would be greatly appreciated!!

Power down the controller, pull out any CompactFlash cards, disconnect the battery (under the left cover), and count to ten.

Now the controller's memory is blank and the serial port is set to the default DF1 Full Duplex protocol at 19200 baud, no parity, 1 stop bit, no handshaking, BCC error checking.

Use the Windows Control Panel to determine which COMx port your USB/RS232 converter has been assigned.

In RSLinx Classic, configure a DF1 Full Duplex driver for the COM port of your USB/RS232 converter, with the Device type set for Logix5550/CompactLogix and the serial speed and framing set for the same as the default controller settings above.

The wiring between your USB/RS232 converter and the controller serial port only requires Pins 2, 3, and 5. It's a "null modem" cable, with pins 2 and 3 crossed.

In RSLinx, open an "RSWho" window, check "Autobrowse", and browse to the controller. The controller's part number and icon should appear in the RSWho window, along with the backplane and network card.

You configure the Ethernet daughtercard by right-clicking on it in RSWho and selecting the Module Configuration applet.

If you have followed all these steps and still not met with success, post exactly what results you do get.

RSLogix 5000 version 15 is stable and straightforward but there's no guarantee it matches your CompactLogix, which may have anything between v13 and v16 onboard. If you have the installation CD for RSLogix 5000, it will include ControlFlash and the firmware files and you can step through the procedure for updating your controller.

Where are you located ? There may be a local RA distributor who can give you some pointers as a courtesy.

That is a lot of power for a home control unit.

Do you have RSLinx running?
Have you configured a DF1 driver in RSLinx?

If you answer these 2 questions then someone here will talk you through the next steps or if you havent explain how to do the above.

Regards Alan

working!

Ken thanks for the help. I guess the only problem I had was the "null modem" cable. I had the radio shack usb to serial cable converter but not the null modem adapter. After reading your reply I checked with my local RS and picked up the adapter, put in in and what do you know, it auto configured almost instantly! I made a quick 1 input to timer to output program and downloaded it with out any problems. Thanks again, BTW Alan I do have rslinx classic lite. Thanks again for all your help. JoHnny23