Newbie needs answer to An. I/O config question

traveltyme

Recently started thread re: How to config. Analog I/O's
Ron Beufort responded with some help and stepped me thrugh settig up my 1746-FIO4I useing SCL fnctn's useing hardwire "loop back" (O toIn) and useing F8 file ref data/ range bits.(see attachment) Works great for POP. I dont uderstand why input range (scl) bit range given to me are for the 1-5V value 3277 - 16384 instead of the 409-2047 range. Range on OUTPUT is correct for Anal Out 6242-31208 (4-20)as per A/B data sheet. 4-20 Ron did not explain.
Any Idea's? Anybody?
Ray

Your attachment didn't get here. See below for data table from manual.
Ron may have been looking at the upper data table? I'm sure he will check in come Monday. Also in your other thread you stated a different card then corrected yourself. That may be the source of confusion.

Last edited:
Mickey
Attached pdf would not open tried download twice.
Yea, could not upload .RSS file Know how? The raw counts scale properly, but makes no sense why the 4-20 raw counts dont (scratching my head)

Try some pictures. Zip your .RSS file then post it. The forum will not accept a .RSS file.
I edited my above post see last couple of comments.
dataValuesinput.jpg

datavaluesoutput.jpg

Data table is same as I'm useing. Cant get clear pik and dont have WIN Zip. What I have is (2) SWP. 1rst, IN.=F8:0, IN MIN.=4 IN MAX=20, SCL. MIN=6242, SCL MAX=31208, OUT=O:3.0
2nd: IN=I:3.O, IN.MIN.=3277, IN.MAX=16384, SCL MIn.=4 SCL. max=20 OUT.=F8:1

traveltyme,
Change the extension of your .rss to .zip ( you don't have to actually zip it) and post it. Just let the forum know that is what you did. Then after we download it we can just change it back to .rss and open it.
Your above post is very confusing to me, the SCL instruction does not have a min-max value (SCP does). And what is this "SWP" your talking about?

Last edited:
Correction to Anal Setup and file attachment

Correction SWP s/b SCP (in both instances) Also note, using this config due to not having loop sim available. Saved prog. as zip and posted.
Thanks Mickey

Last edited:
The card shown in the file you posted is a 1746-NIO4I not a 1746-FIO4I?
Which one do you have?
Refer to the data table above for the raw values of the card you have.
If you have a 1746-NIO4I then change the input min and max as follow in your second SCP instruction.
Input Min. = 3277
Input Max. = 16384
If you have a 1746-FIO4I then your scaling is correct.
See pic below of the file you sent.

analogCard.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry, I am working w/ 2 different catalogs. DO have NIO4I. Re config. accordingly. When I changed 2nd SCP MIn and MAX to match 1rst (3277-16384) I now have >1/2 in to out I think this is my sticking point I'm having trouble with.
RAY

Double check the dip switches and make sure they are set for current input. Get a meter and put it in series with the input to see the actual
current value going to your input.

the plot thickens ...

Greetings to all ...

I think my distinguished colleague Mickey has spotted the reason for the “weird-scaling” problem ... this is EXACTLY what I expected to see in Ray’s I/O configuration - specifically, that his module is a 1746-NIO4I and not a 1746-FIO4I as he (finally) reported in the original thread ... that’s the main reason that I wanted to see a copy of the program - to nail down the specific model number of the parts being used ... unfortuately I had other pressing business to attend to on Friday while Ray and I were working over the phone ... so after an hour or two of conversation, I had to beg off and suggest that we continue at a later time ... I also suggested that Ray post his latest question at the end of his original thread ...

anyway ...

going a little bit further ... in my telephone conversation with Ray, I became convinced that he’s a “nice guy” who’s working really hard to master this material ... and I have no doubt that he meant no criticsm by this comment that he made in one of his recent posts ...

I dont uderstand ... Ron did not explain.

there was a LOT going on during our repeated phone conversations - so Ray probably just missed what I said ... the explanation that I gave was that the “book” says one thing - but the reality of the situation is proving to be something else ... so ... either (A) the “book” is wrong (which happens from time to time) - OR - (B) the module that Ray is using is NOT the 1746-FIO4I that he thinks he’s using ... check his original thread and you’ll see that there was some confusion on his part in reporting the catalog number ... now it looks like he’s getting to the root of the problem ...

specifically, the module is NOT the 1746-FIO4I he said he has ... actually it’s the much more common 1746-NIO4I ... and yes, the scaling is different between those two types of modules ...

so that’s the explanation for Ray’s present confusion ...

Ron Mickey'
EPIPHANY!
Inverted scaling, I was getting confused what was realy "In and OUT": (output driving the input) make sense?
Thanks a Bunch!
Ray
Let's see what other trouble I can get into!
P.S.
The "new" book offered by PLCS ANALOG and PID's up my alley?

Greetings Ray ...

when you and I hung up on Friday, you had the analog inputs scaled as Mickey has suggested above - which is EXACTLY what I had suggested over the phone ... specifically, you should be using 3277 to 16384 for the range of your analog input channel ... and those values were working fine ... but ... in the program that you’ve posted above, you’ve changed the scaling values of the second SCP to match the “book” ...

why did you do that? ...

a friend of mine used to say:

if the map and the terrain do not agree - trust the terrain ...

you and I had already determined that those “book” values did NOT work for your hardware ... but ... we had also confirmed that the values that I gave you over the phone DID work correctly ... and that’s what I was saying when I told you that either the “book” was wrong - or that you had the wrong model number for your hardware ... does it make more sense to you now? ...

if I hadn’t needed to move on to other business on Friday, your system’s I/O Configuration would have been the next thing that we would have checked ... and we would have spotted the “wrong model number” problem that Mickey has nailed down ...

moral of the story ... the model/catalog/revision/etc. numbers associated with the hardware are CRITICAL to getting this stuff to work correctly ... if you don’t have the right numbers, then you can’t expect to get good results ...

good luck with the rest of your project ...

PS Edit ... I see that you've just posted the answers to my questions while I was typing ... glad to see that progress has been made ...

Last edited:
To add to the confusion----
I have to scaling "cut sheets" in front of me, NIO4I-FIO4I. FIO4I has input scaling 409--e-2047. Wonder why so different, ones fast I/O but why bit res. diff.? Talk about "apples and oranges"--- Now that I diid a really confusing all consrned-----------
Ray