TI PM550 power light

Capt_Davey

Does the PM550 have to be plugged into anything (other than AC power) for the red 'DC good' light to come on ? If so what pins on what connector need to be jumpered to verify 'dc good' ?
Thx all

Capt_Davey said:
Does the PM550 have to be plugged into anything (other than AC power) for the red 'DC good' light to come on ? If so what pins on what connector need to be jumpered to verify 'dc good' ?
Thx all
I can't remember if the PM550 power supply has to have a load to get the light but.... there's a terminal block with contacts for it.
They were used to do the same thing, if there was an issue with a bad power supply the contacts would let you know.
Can you just plug it in and check the state of the contacts?
I may have one around but there's no way to get to it today.
I'm amazed to find out that they are still out there!! I used to swap these units for newer PLCs quite some time back, especially on printing presses (Harris comes to mind) but the printing industry died about 7-8 years ago and everything is outsourced to China nowadays.

OK I tried the contacts but still no 'DC good'. I do not have the rest of the system to plug it into to test is why Im asking if its needed to activate 'DC good'. I found the 'smoking gun' problem (bad capacitor) but want to verify it is indeed fixed. Dont laugh but I have 4 of them I'm working on ..... LOL
Thx

Capt_Davey said:
OK I tried the contacts but still no 'DC good'. I do not have the rest of the system to plug it into to test is why Im asking if its needed to activate 'DC good'. I found the 'smoking gun' problem (bad capacitor) but want to verify it is indeed fixed. Dont laugh but I have 4 of them I'm working on ..... LOL
Thx
If you do not have the rest of the system (CCU & I/O) the light will remain OFF.
If the entire system is connected and in RUN Mode the DC Monitor light will be lit as long as there's no problem with the system.
I won't laugh!
I still have the manual for the hardware, the manual for the VPU200 and a Power Supply(PM550-210) plus the PLC (CCU) which is the high end one!!
16 Loops!!
Last I checked both the Power Supply and CCU were going strong.

Anyways, good luck.

DRATS ! I was fearfull of that :( Is there any way to jumper anything to see if the 550 will go active and show the 'DC good' light ?

PS: Thx for your help with this :)

Capt_Davey said:
DRATS ! I was fearfull of that :( Is there any way to jumper anything to see if the 550 will go active and show the 'DC good' light ?

PS: Thx for your help with this :)
Which Model Power Supply have you??
PM550-210
PM550-212...

I can take a look in the manual and give you the pinout layout.
That will be a way to check for 24V, 9V, 5V etc.

Capt_Davey said:
PM550-212 bkottaras Thx a million ! :)
2 Word docs attached here.
First shows the actual voltage on each pin.
The second one shows each pin and a description of potential (voltage).
Hope this helps a bit.
Let me know if you need the TCAM/LAM info, it is pretty straight forward though. +9V, Ground for each.
This connector is located below the DC LED.
Do you have a VPU by the way?
I can only borrow one from a local distributor and have had a hell of a time trying to Low-Format some of the "newer" 5.25" disks.
Let us know if you get it going!

Last edited:
Slightly off topic

I think we have a VPU in our instrument shop. I remember seeing it up on a shelf collecting dust. We upgraded our last 550 around '95 or so. I haven't opened the case, so the condition is unknown.

If some of you guys are interested, I could investigate, and see if everything is there.

Ken

Ken Moore said:
I think we have a VPU in our instrument shop. I remember seeing it up on a shelf collecting dust. We upgraded our last 550 around '95 or so. I haven't opened the case, so the condition is unknown.

If some of you guys are interested, I could investigate, and see if everything is there.

Ken
Ken,

is it the last generation VPU?
200 I think.
You can do pretty much everything with it on a PM550 system.
Just make sure when you transport, move the thing from place to place around the shop, a disk must be "parked" in the drive, otherwise the drive will get damaged instantly.
Haven't touched one in 4-5 years or so but it is nice to get to play with it when you do get a chance.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that you have to have the disk with the operating system in order for it to be fully functional.
I may have a disk or two around some place.

No VPU, but Ken that would be great if ya have a complete one, maybe I could take it off your hands ??? PM me if ya need it gone or have a spare :)
Thx guys for all the help :) I'll let ya know how it all goes after the weekend.