Vision and servo control

rokon

Hi, I am final year university student undertaking a project for an industrial company.

The requirement for my project is to identify a feature on a part, identify the orientation (angle) of the part compared to the desired orientation and use a servo to rotate the part to the desired orientation.

It has been concluded that vision is most appropriate for this project. The vision camera will be Cognex (insight) or an Omron system.

What I would like to know is what components are required to build such a set up. I do not have any experience in such a field but I would like to learn.

My guess is that I would require:
- Vision camera and software
- Servo (or stepper motor)
- Servo driver/controller
- PLC

Please advise me how can I connect up the hardware and what other extra components are required, cabling etc?. Is there any material on the Internet I can read about this?

At the moment I do not have any specific information on the make of PLC and SERVO.

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
rokon said:
Anyone? Do you want me to clarify anything?

A common complaint is people not supplying enough information for us to use to help you.

The second complaint is in a nutshell students asking us to do their homework. However you did say
WHAT CAN I READ??

Some questions you can answer and you should have these right on the top of your head
Describe the "visual aspects" of the part ie color contrasting colors,
Describe part -- material, dimensions, topographical (?) features and dimensions,
Describe speed requirements ie parts per hour etc etc
Describe inspection tolerances what are you going to discriminate between good part and bad part??

That otta get em scratchin their heads.
Dan Bentler

rokon said:
The requirement for my project is to identify a feature on a part, identify the orientation (angle) of the part compared to the desired orientation and use a servo to rotate the part to the desired orientation.

It has been concluded that vision is most appropriate for this project. The vision camera will be Cognex (insight) or an Omron system.
You want to use a camera that can write data to a PLC or motion controller using Ethernet. The Cognex can use Ethernet/IP. This way information will just magically appear in the PLC or motion controller.

What I would like to know is what components are required to build such a set up. I do not have any experience in such a field but I would like to learn.

My guess is that I would require:
- Vision camera and software
- Servo (or stepper motor)
- Servo driver/controller
- PLC
You probably don't need the PLC if you get the right motion controller. The Cognex can download coordinates, angles and identification directly to the motion controller.

Please advise me how can I connect up the hardware and what other extra components are required, cabling etc?. Is there any material on the Internet I can read about this?
Plenty but your question is very vague.

At the moment I do not have any specific information on the make of PLC and SERVO.

Thanks for your time
Like I said the PLC probably isn't required for such a simple task because the camera should be able to connect directly to the servo controller. A good motion controller is progammable and can the data downloaded by the camera to do what is needed. As for the sero and drive, many brands will do. More information is required to determine the size.

It should be added that in case of Cognex, Modbus/TCP and Profinet communication available as well. On the other hand, if Omron vision system is considered as a possible option, it makes sense to look at Omron controllers as well.