SLC EPROMs and target CPUs

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Greetings all,

I am pondering the possible troubles that can happen if I "burn" an EPROM in a CPU at home, and then send it to a customer abroad.

1. What happens if the CPU firmware is not the same, the target CPU has a NEWER firmware than the home CPU ?

2. What happens if the CPU firmware is not the same, the target CPU has an OLDER firmware than the home CPU (but none of the new firmwares functionality is used in the user program)?

3. What happens if the CPU size is not the same, the target CPU has a GREATER memory size than the home CPU ?

4. What happens if the CPU size is not the same, the target CPU has a SMALLER memory size than the home CPU (but the user program should still fit into the memory of the target CPU)?

I would like to know from someone who REALLY knows, rather than someone who thinks he know. I just dont want to send an EPROM off to a customer who then cannot use it when it finally arrives. Because of the multitude of variants of CPU firmwares and sizes that exist out there, I have no possibility to check beforehand.

Thanx :)

I would like to know from someone who REALLY knows, rather than someone who thinks he know. I just dont want to send an EPROM off to a customer who then cannot use it when it finally arrives. Because of the multitude of variants of CPU firmwares and sizes that exist out there, I have no possibility to check beforehand

Therein lies a problem, the reaction can be different depending on cpu brand and model.
1. It may work with no problem
2. It may not work at all
3. It may work but cause issues with the machine, maybe not immediately.

I have had programming software issues with Panelviews because of firmware changes. I have used GE 90-30's with Versa-Pro but wouldnt put online because of the possiblities of firmware issues until I upgraded (NOTE: I did do the initial programming successfully and it worked but still did the upgrade before using the machine).

As you stated there are a multitude of variants and the only way to be sure is KNOW what you are replacing and verify the firmware upgrade will work properly with the program etc.

I dont state to know or think I know, I just have dealt with firmware changes that created programming problems, would not work at all and some that werent a problem at all. Each case was different depending on brand, model etc.

I look at this as a CYA kind of thing, if there is a possibility of it causing a problem then verify compatibility as much as possible.

I am primarily using SLC-5/04 with 16kW.
I think that this issue is essential. Not just when sending an EPROM to a customer, but also when the customer's CPU is defective - he gets a replacement CPU (brand new and therefore with the latest firmware) and moves the EPROM to this CPU. It should be possible for him to do it, but can I say to him that he can allways do that ?