Phone Modems

junior

Can anybody recommend which phone modems can be used with the AB processors instead of the high price industrial modems? Can any standard home use phone modems be used?

TIA
Jr.

There's nothing keeping you from using a cheapo phone modem from the scrap bin, but it's possible you will spend as much in time trying to get it configured right as you would have spent on the industrialized modems.

I'd recommend starting with the good old USRobotics Sportster if you're going to try this. They were made by the zillions, and I think you can find a technote or two in the A-B knowledgebase about configuring them to work with DF1 protocol.

And of course you might just spend more than you needed if it goes wrong.

What support would you expect from the manufacturer if you use it away from the environment it was designed for.

IMHO "Use the right tool for the job".

daba said:
And of course you might just spend more than you needed if it goes wrong.

What support would you expect from the manufacturer if you use it away from the environment it was designed for.

IMHO "Use the right tool for the job".

I agree with you 100% Daba, but for this application, there is no severe/industrial environment that the modem will be in, so I don't see the need to spend the big bucks for one.

I was looking at the Trendnet TFM-560X modem. Has anybody used it in the past with the AB plc's? I know the sportsters will work, but they're not that easy to find anymore.

Jr.

junior said:
Can anybody recommend which phone modems can be used with the AB processors instead of the high price industrial modems? Can any standard home use phone modems be used?

TIA
Jr.

If you after an alternative to the RADES, I use the NTRON 102RAS, about half the price of the AB ethernet modem