Siemens FM350-2 Module

cotang

Hi, I did a quick search and found some useful info but not what I was looking for. I recently took the level siemen course and it was very useful. I learn and understand a lot more now then I do and am current practicing the stuff I learn by trying to apply it to a simple project (not so simple since I'm stuck). Them problem I am having is the FM350-2 Module (counter module). I manage to merge the necessary files into my project and create a DB block from it. I tried reading the user manual for it and understand most of what its saying but not the part where I actually use it. To make a long story short, I wondering for the Siemens programmer out there if they can give me a hand in terms of what steps I need to get it to start retreiving information. So this is what I did so far....

1. I copied the two files I needed into my project (I think a FC ctrl block and the UTDB.)
2. I created a DB based on the UTDB (per amount of counter modules I have)
3. I set the address for each module in the DB's
4. Now reading the manual its states that the counter is invalid until a certain bit is set...(I think its address 36.7 in the DB) can't recall exactly what it is now since I'm at home. Something to do with some parameter or something.
5. The hardware gates are hardwire for contant channel on
6. Have a frequency source into the module.

The the problem now is I'm not sure what to do next. I know I can retrieve freqeuency info from the DB blocks but not sure what else I need to get the counter to start the conversion or if I need to look at some bits for it to tell me when the conversion is done. Also how do I get the 36.7 bit to come on....

This should be easy for you Siemen guys since this is a typical counter module. Any help is appreicated. Exampels are great but I perfer info that way I can learn this.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Did you already configure the FM350-2 in the hardware configuration? You need to load the configuration software from the CD that came with the module or download it from the Siemens support web site. Then when you select the object properties (right click on the module) you can set the module address and select the data block. Then you can configure the module (double click the module) to one of the counting methods or frequency measurement methods, the gate function, and other configurations. Then you can start reading data from the data block.

You need to be running FC2 in your cyclic program. If you highlight the block in the editor and press F1 you will get the help file for the block which describes all the parameter. The picture attached shows the call to FC2 from one of my recent projects.

Nick

Manglemender said:
You need to be running FC2 in your cyclic program. If you highlight the block in the editor and press F1 you will get the help file for the block which describes all the parameter. The picture attached shows the call to FC2 from one of my recent projects.

Nick

Yes, I'm calling the FC2 in my OB1. I set my parameters correctly because I can monitor the DB and its showing my DB block being entered.

Here what I'm doing in my function (which is called in OB)
My function:
1. Open DB1 (Which is my counter DB)
2. Enabled my software gate (0) which is where my test freq is entered
3. Set my Job_Number to 100 (int)
4. Watch for the Job done bit in the DB before reading.

Now I'm monitoring the DB and I'm getting a Job_RD.IMPOSS as true. What am I missing here?

cotang said:
Here what I'm doing in my function (which is called in OB)
My function:
1. Open DB1 (Which is my counter DB)
2. Enabled my software gate (0) which is where my test freq is entered
3. Set my Job_Number to 100 (int)
4. Watch for the Job done bit in the DB before reading.

Now I'm monitoring the DB and I'm getting a Job_RD.IMPOSS as true. What am I missing here?

I didn't get involved with job numbers or job done bits, I just let the ready made control block FC2 control the counter. As far as I can tell, the only parts of the instance db that should be written to directly are the load / compare values.

My appliation was quite simple, I set the counters up for continuous counting and reset them as required. The count values were used in a separate position control algorithm.

It sounds like you may have read far more of the FM350 manual than I ever have. I've attached a copy of DB30 (counter instance DB) for you to compare against yours.

Nick

Hey thanks, I actually got it to work. I realized I deleted the FC2 function from my main OB and once I put it in it worked. Yeah I read the manual over and over again. I wish they just give you a list of stuff to set to get it to work the first time and then describe all the other function, would've made things so much simpler...

Keep Dreaming... This is Siemens were talking about.

"It is in the manual". I have recently experienced worse though - Indramat PPC controller with Indralogic. The manuals are diabolical. I had to call tech support just to set up an analogue input!

Nick