Panelmate LOC: 1202 Error

GLPLC

Hi All,

I have an old Cutler Hammer Panelmate Touchscreen connected to a Cutler Hammer D50 PLC. The LOC:1202 error that appears on the screen, causes a unpredictable delay in response when using the system.

The exact error message is:
"LOC:1202 on PLC1 via Port1 on R001."
The R001 part of the message keeps scrolling i.e. R001,R002, R0015, R006 etc...

The error first came up when one of our technicians connected to the Panelmate to backup the screen program.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
GL

Local error code 1202 means no response from the PLC. The R001, R002, etc indicates the memory locations that the PanelMate tried to read. The error occurred on port 1, which is the same port that you use to upload or download the configuration. If your tech successfully uploaded the configuration from the PanelMate, it's a pretty good bet that the port is still functional. How proficient is your tech with the PanelMate software? Could he have transferred in the wrong direction and sent a different configuration from the PC to the PanelMate instead of uploading from the PanelMate to the PC? Make sure the port settings didn't get changed. Make sure your tech plugged the cable between the PLC and the PanelMate back in after he uploaded the configuration from the PanelMate. Make sure the cable didn't get damaged.

Thanks Steve,

You've given me a bit to think about. Of the things you've mentioned, I've cecked most. I suspect it could be someting to do with port settings - will check and let you know.

BTW - by port settings do you mean PLC Name and Port Table?

Thanks,

G

Last edited:
BTW - by port settings do you mean PLC Name and Port Table?
Yes

You didn't mention which model PanelMate you have, but if yours has two ports, I'd recommend using Port 2 for PLC communications if possible. That way, you keep Port 1 available for maintenance without having to remove the cable to the PLC with the attendant risk of bent pins or broken wires.

Hi Steve / All,

Checked a number of settings on the system - no progress though.

I have a Panelmate 1500 and a Cutler Hammer D50 PLC.
The cable doesn't seem to be broken because information is being passed between the two (just with a large and unpredicatble delay).

I've checked the settings in the PLC table and they seem to be normal.

Only thing I noticed is that I couldnt connect to the D50 PLC. It came up with an error that read: "Invalid PLC ID or disconnected". I was using PLC ID# 255 to go online. This is the same ID used by the Panelmate to access the PLC.

I tried changing the PLC ID# on the Panelmate to 1 and that seem to stop all communication between the screen and the plc - so I assume that the PLC is set to 255.

Is there anything else that I might have missed?

Thanks,

GL

I'm a little suspicious of PLC ID #255. I don't know what serial protocol that PLC uses, but with some protocols ID #255 is used for a broadcast message. It's sort of "whoever is out there" ID. You will need to have your programming software connected to the PLC to change its ID number. The ID in the PanelMate has to match the actual ID in the PLC.

Before you go changing things at random, remember that this system used to work. Whatever is different now and preventing reliable communication has to be something fairly simple. Furthermore, it is more likely to be a hardware problem than a software problem. Perhaps the port on your PLC has gone squirrely on you. Just be careful to document your changes and when they don't work, restore things to the way they were before you tried the change.

If some data is getting passed, then maybe the PanelMate is trying to read from or write to an address that doesn't exist. That attempt fails, but it causes the LOC 1202 error message.