Siemens S5 Interbus-S Problem

adamk1217

Can NOT get Siemens Step5 PLC to communicate with remote I/O (Eingang/Ausgang) modules on Interbus-S port.

We powered the machine off and then back on. Controller card in PLC rack has RB (remote buss) error lite on.

Original problem was a broken fiber-optic cable between the first and second remote I/O racks.

We replaced ALL the fiber optic cables with new ones purchased from the manufacturer of the original ones (Phoenix Contact)

All remote I/O modules have green lites for UL, RC, and BA on steady. There are no red error lites for E, LD, and RD.

Things we have changed/swapped.

1) PLC CPU.
2) PLC Interbuss-S card and RS485 to fore-optic converter module
3) Completely cleared PLC memory and reloaded programs. We have done this before so we know we have good PLC code.
4) ALL fibre-optic cables were replaced.
5) Replaced fibre-optic comm modules on first 2 remote I/O modules.
6) Original parts are back in since none of them fixed the problem.
Main Interbuss-S controller card state

The communications module in the main PLC rack is a Phoenix Contact brand Model IBS S5 DCB/I-T.

It has the green Ready LED on and the red RB (remote buss) error lite on. No other lites are on.

It displays 2 codes in the display window, thumbwheels set to 00050.

Code1 is a relay contact symbol -][- which means the controller board has completed the self-test and is waiting (we assume for a start signal)

Code2 is the number 0 (zero) which we assume is the address of the bad module on the buss.

We have swapped it with a spare with the same identical problem showing up.

Interbuss-S remote I/O modules

All remote I/O modules have green lites for UL, RC, and BA on steady. There are no red error lites for E, LD, and RD.