2 processors in one PLC5 chassis ?

I had a go at putting a ControlLogix processor in a PLC5 chassis, and, rather surprisingly, it went in a treat.

Only problem was it wouldn't stand upright to "look the part", as there was a huge distance discrepancy between the card and the guide rails in the chassis. And there was nowhere suitable to plug it into on the backplane, either.

I tried it lying on its side, but that didn't look right either.

I finally settled for it perched at a rather pleasant angle of about 50 deg. from the vertical, gently leaning against an I/O card.

Now I just need some wire and a soldering iron to connect all the controller's pins to the backplane.....

DTTAH

daba said:
I had a go at putting a ControlLogix processor in a PLC5 chassis, and, rather surprisingly, it went in a treat.

Only problem was it wouldn't stand upright to "look the part", as there was a huge distance discrepancy between the card and the guide rails in the chassis. And there was nowhere suitable to plug it into on the backplane, either.

I tried it lying on its side, but that didn't look right either.

I finally settled for it perched at a rather pleasant angle of about 50 deg. from the vertical, gently leaning against an I/O card.

Now I just need some wire and a soldering iron to connect all the controller's pins to the backplane.....

DTTAH

Hmmm... your method seems rather odd to me. But then one does whatever one needs in order to just keep em running. I tried the same my self, but couldn't manage enough room to make all the solder connections. So, I found that several jumper shorting pins across all the backplane pinouts made it such that it wasn't so critical how the processor pins lined up. I actually have ours standing straight up. So far no fault or LEDs have come on! We are good to go.

You've both made the rookie mistake of forgetting that the ControlLogix is a 32-bit machine; you'll need to set your chassis to 1/4 slot addressing. You can do this with some of your leftover jumpers.