Cableing Ideas

tacm

Hi Guys, I am in the process of designing a machine monitoring system to collect data from CNC machine centers on the plant floor. Some of these machines are quite old and the specifications for each one will be different. I will be collecing the data by piggy backing existing I/O or in some cases Relay logic and sending the 24vdc signal back to the digital input of the PLC. I will require between 3 and 5 inputs per machine. The farthest run will be about 200 feet from the I/O. I would like to run a twisted pair type wire so that I dont have to run conduit to each machine. I was thinking about using CAT6 cable because there will be nominal current and the RJ-45 conectors would make the wireing visually astetic. Has anyone used data cable for a purpose such as this? Does anyone have any other ideas??? Thank you, Steve

Hi Steve:

I do not know about your budget, but have you thought about installing a small plc like ML1000 from AB inside your CNC cabinet, wire all your inputs to the plc and then run ethernet cable from the plc up to an ethernet switch. This way you have all the info at the same time and you can use a kind of hmi in order to "see" yours CNC machines.

I do not have the budjet for a dedicated controler at each machine. I am going to use 1 micrlogix 1100 or 1500 for the I/O collection and then a Red Lion Data Station Plus to display the information via the web. Due to monitary concerns I cannot dedicate a controler to each machine......HOWEVER remote I/O at each machine might be a posibility if I could use a VERY VERY in expensive platform as I will be monitoring 25 machines to start, then will be adding another controler latter when I use all the avalable inputs(16 X 4 expantion cards) or (32 X 4 expantion cards if AB has a 32 channel card for the platform I use) :site:

If you can use a mlogix 1500 with a devicenet scanner you can use something like the Allen-Bradley CompactBlock LDX 8 or 16 input module in each cabinet. List price is around $250 each.

LJBMatt said:
If you can use a mlogix 1500 with a devicenet scanner you can use something like the Allen-Bradley CompactBlock LDX 8 or 16 input module in each cabinet. List price is around $250 each.
Even at that low of a price, remote I/O is out of the question. My total hardware budget is only a little over $3000.00 Thanx for the ideas though...... So........back to my cabling question???????????????????????

I've never used twisted pair cables, only "SOO" (18awg) multiconductor cables in cable tray. Although for 25 machines even cabling is going to add up pretty quickly.

Please do not not wire it with cat6 and a RJ45 connector. That would be WAY TOO EASY for someone to mistake as an "ethernet" cable and plug into their poor laptop...

I've used tons of quick connects in the past but if he has $3000 equip budget for 25 machines he'll spend close to that on just connectors nevermind the "SOO" cordsets.

Wiring inputs using DC or AC on a Cat 5,6,5e,6e, or anyother communication cable is a bad idea.

1st they arent rated for current carrying and probibly arent rated for any significant voltage. Plus the wires become brittle as they are solid wire. This in my opinion would be a liability for fire / reliability.

Use a multiconductor cable or dont do the project as "eithernet" cable is for communication only.

Chris S said:
Wiring inputs using DC or AC on a Cat 5,6,5e,6e, or anyother communication cable is a bad idea.

1st they arent rated for current carrying and probibly arent rated for any significant voltage. Plus the wires become brittle as they are solid wire. This in my opinion would be a liability for fire / reliability.

Use a multiconductor cable or dont do the project as "eithernet" cable is for communication only.
I am not trying to be argumentative, and I do thank you all for your advice. 22AWG cat 6 cable is rated at .92 amps. It is also voltage rated, as it is telephone rated and the ringer on a telephone is approx. 75vac. Is there any other reason I am missing for not doing this??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I guess if it has a rating then you can technically use it. I just have seen some nasty rat nests with this kind of wire and never seen it used successfully. Just seems like a bad idea using communication wire for relay work.