encoder application

faehigkeit1

Hi All,
I have an application using an encremental encoder with a cable pull thats sends pulses to a red lion preset counter. Vibration is causing me problems...false counts.
I have a new counter on order that will except a quadrature input so I hope that helps.
Anybody know if there is an ultrasonic sensor of some type that outputs pulses that I could use?
Thanks
Dean

By cable pull, do you mean like a reel of cable attached to a machine that measures a distance by turning the encoder?

If that's the case, you might want to take a look at celesco. I have used their products with excellent results. We had "string pots" providing an analog input to a PLC which was easily scaled to inches.

The quadrature style pulses might help too, but hard to say for sure without knowing what you have currently.

By cable pull, do you mean like a reel of cable attached to a machine that measures a distance by turning the encoder?

Yes. I currently have a counter that only counts up, so the vibration is causing the counts to accumulate. The counter that will be here on Monday is capable of bi-directional counting and excepts a quad input. I'm hoping this will cause the vibration to count up/dn up/dn etc.. hovering around say 1,2...1,2...until an actual movement counts up to preset value..(hope that made sense)
Thanks Paul