Siemens touch screens

Rack Failure

Hi
At work we have Siemens OP7 and TP170B touchscreens. The problem is we don't have the back up file for these on disk. The OEM didn't/wouldn't give us them. I have heard you cannot up load the files from these devices and must have it on disk. Is this correct? If so why can't you upload from these devices?

We have just recently got Protool Ver6.0 and learning how to use this package.

Appreciate any info/advice.

Homer

Homer

As far as I am aware you cannot upload projects from Siemens Screens, only on MP270 screens (according to the so called help files).

Have fun learning protool.

I know a bit about protool, I have done a couple of projects using a TP27-10 screen with a S7 315-2DP PLC, so any questions you know where to come.

Paul

I copied this from my protool help file. Sounds like uploads are possible from the TP170, but only if the OEM put the source files on the unit. (which they probably did not.) :(

Anyway, here's what the help file says:
#####################################

Usage

As a result of a download operation, the executable project is normally downloaded to the operating unit. If you want to use the original project data for developing the project further or for error analysis, they must remain on the configuration device.
On Windows CE devices (only with a suitable memory capacity or option of a memory upgrade with a CF card), you can store not only the compiled project but also the source code of the project so that subsequent retrieval (uploading) of the project from the operating unit is possible.

Advantage: in this way you can later perform analyses and changes to an existing configuration even if the original programming device cannot be reached or the source file (*.pdb) for the project is no longer available on the configuration device.

Requirements

· Sufficient storage space must be available on the operating unit.

· The storage location for the source file must have been set on the operating unit. Different storage locations can be set for the project file and source file: internal flash memory or PC card (refer to equipment manual).

· The project file must be downloaded with the source file.

ProTool Online Help (C) 1999-2000 SIEMENS AG
#################################

Look over Protool's Prosave utility- it should do what you need.
It's for back-up use only.
Your file CANNOT be "uncompiled" and brought back into
Protool for modification.

I dont know about the OP7, but for the TP170B there are several things you can do.

If there is a CompactFlash card in the slot in the TP170B (and the application is on the card), then you can simply read the application off this card with an appropriate cardreader.

If there is no such card in the slot, then insert a new card and proceed like this:
1. Start the Control Panel (if there is no function to activate this in the application, you should be able to select "Control Panel" at powerup.
2. There should be a "backup/restore to memory card" function amongst the various icons. Use this to move the application to the CF card.
3. Read the application from the CF card with a card reader.

Note: The content of the card is not an editable version of the application. You can only use it to load the application into another TP170B.

Guys
Thanks to you all for replying, I really appreciate it. I have been working off site for the last few days and haven't been able to try your suggestions. All going well I'll be back by mid next week and give it a go.
It seems that you can back up the file on these HMI's but if I ever needed to make changes this would not be possible.
I regullarly surf this site (almost dailly)to pick up hints and tips which I find very useful. At work we are almost 100% Siemens, loads of S5 100U & 115U and a lot of S7 313C to S7 318 2DP.

Anyway thanks again for all your help.

PS If any of you reading this can explain the DO instruction in simple terms I would also appreciate that. I've never been able to get my head round that.

Homer