S7-200 networking

Gazzr

Hi fellas,
I currently have an existing network as shown in my attached drawing. (Items 1 and 2)
I am looking to add another panel (Item 3)
s7-222nw.jpg

The existing network is configured as follows. Both HMI devices communicate solely with the S7-224 PLC. The S7-224 uses the S7-222 (In panel 1) as remote I/O. I configured the comms using the wizard, basically it reads the input byte from the 222 does the logic in the 224 and writes a byte of memory directly back into the output byte of the 222. There is no real process involved, it's gathering data and relaying information via LED's on the panel.

I am now looking to add panel 3 and am wondering how best to approach this. I will require info from the S7-222 in panel 1.

The way I see it, I have 2 ways of doing this:

a) I could program the new 222 unit to read directly from the existing 222, could this cause a problem?

b) Or should I use the S7-224 in panel 2 to read the info from panel 1 then write it to panel 3.

Option b would have the disadvatage that if the S7-224 was off then all my comms are screwed. But has the advantage that all the comms are being done from the one place and therefore should be more reliable.

I am probably worrying about nothing, but would appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
As you have already stated, the 224 is the Master.
I'd plug in the new 222 to be a remote I/O similar,
setup to the existing 222.
Kind of looks cleaner as a system having one master
and 2 slaves (Remote I/O units).
Just the way I see things anyways!