watchdog problem

ntommyb

I'm trying to stress test a clx processor (L55). I can get it to around 490 ms scan time but I'd like to ramp it up to around 700 or 800 to see if I can fault it.

We had a "power up fault" after using this proc for 4 years and it lost it's program. They had just hot swapped it out of the chassis for whatever reason without powering down the chassis.

I understand that most things are hot swappable in a clx chassis but I also thought you couldn't/shouldn't hot swap a proc without flipping the switch.

The point is the clx was sent to my trailer to stress test it, I couldn't recreat the problem by yanking it so I just ramped up the scan time and I was going to wait a day then go up a bit more. I figured I could change the watchdog somehow with a [SSV] or something.

Thanks in advance

ntommyb said:
I'm trying to stress test a clx processor (L55). I can get it to around 490 ms scan time but I'd like to ramp it up to around 700 or 800 to see if I can fault it.
Your wanting to cause a watchdog error? Go to the main task properties and lower the watchdog
We had a "power up fault" after using this proc for 4 years and it lost it's program. They had just hot swapped it out of the chassis for whatever reason without powering down the chassis.
You probably already covered this, but after 4 years in service, did you check the battery?
I understand that most things are hot swappable in a clx chassis but I also thought you couldn't/shouldn't hot swap a proc without flipping the switch.
It won't harm the components a bit, but you should use caution that it doesn't cause any physical dangers with the machine it is controlling
The point is the clx was sent to my trailer to stress test it, I couldn't recreat the problem by yanking it so I just ramped up the scan time and I was going to wait a day then go up a bit more. I figured I could change the watchdog somehow with a [SSV] or something.

Thanks in advance
I really don't see what you hope to accomplish by "stressing" the controller, or are you just trying to check the Fault and Power up Handlers?

I put in a backward jump to cause the proc to run at a higher scan time. I honestly can't see how that's going to stress it now that I think about it because its still doing the same amount of work it's just doing it slower because its wound up in that jmp lbl.

The battery is good as far as I know because I did the old hot swap a few times out of my test chassis

Anyway how can I better stress the power up handler because that was the fault that caused the problem they saw.

First, do you actually have a power up handler program configured?

If you do, you must clear the power up fault in that program. It is normal to get a power up fault. If you don't have a power up program configured, it automatically clears the power up fault for you.

But what was happening that is leading you to believe you have a power up problem?

The processor was pulled from the chassis for whatever reason then it was put back in and it had a some kind of major fault related to power up (2nd hand information) and it lost it's program.

The program was redownloaded and it ran fine. They don't feel comfortable with it and I had to put one of my L63's in it. I want my L63 back but I have to make sure what ever happened (as long as it wasn't just some goof seating the processor wrong) doesn't happen again

Theres no fault rotinue assigned for the program

I don't think that you will be able to write a program to simulate it. I'm thinking the only thing you could do is pull it out and reinsert it just as they did