Factory Data Collection - What to use

mmiller

I have 50 injection molding machines that I want to collect cycle counts from and put into a .csv file or an excel spreadsheet.

I would like to have some schedule functionality. So that when the data is collected it is given a job ID for each machine. The file output could then be read into our ERP system using the Job ID to pull items from inventory based on its Bill of Materials.

I know I can do basic datacollecting with Dataworx. I've heard that some touch screens can do some data loggin as well.

All inmput greatly appreciated.

Mike Miller

We use Factory link from Siemens and does a great job counting cycles, cycle times, temperature trends,etc.and the mold stations operate by Ab PLC5's.We import them in excel spreadsheets then in to Filemmaker application.

Depends on what you want to spend and what you want to get from it. If you want take a look a Inductive Automations product. It will do everything you request and more that way if you want to change, modify, upgrade, etc. you can do so and have the flexibility and all already right there at your finger tips. And their tech support is top notch.

What brand of Molding machines are they? Do you have any automated material handling on the machine? Are their any other PLC controled equipment in the plant that your technical and maintanance staff are familiar with?

Machines

There are a couple different brands and different ages. Half or so are less than 5 years old. The other half are up to 10 yrs old. Some are PLC based and most computer based. We have an automated material system (Motan). We have an automation department that is familiar with programming PLC's. AB's or Omrons I think.

Could I do it with multiple touch screens ? I have heard that they can do data logging and the ftp out a report from each to a main PLC that interfaces with a computer or touch screens to the computer directly ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

You can use just about any SQL server system to store the data. Like said before, depends on the amount of data you want to store. What may or may not give you issues is your injection mold machines themselves. Most OEM's of injection mold machines do not want you in the machine program. If you do ANYTHING in that program then they will not touch the machine again and assume zero liability for the machine (been there done that). That said interfacing will be a major issue. You may want to start with the OEM that built your machines, tell them what you want and see what kind of packages they offer. With most IMM's you can not just "plug" into the CPU and suck out the data you want.

Suggestion: If you are willing to risk the ire of your OEM's. List what brand PLC's you have along with make and model. Figure what data points you want to use IE do you want to monitor just the cycle time, mold heats, machine heats , machine status...etc

You may find that bringing in a third party intergrater may be more cost effective.

Like everyone's been saying, look for an SQL database based setup - particularly because you have "relational data" (your comment about Job IDs and inventory).

I'd second mrtweaver's FactorySQL recommendation, but any SQL/OPC "transaction manager" type of software (many exist) should do the trick.