just tired

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
So many of you dislike/attack me and I do not understand fully why. I know I like to debate things, but that helps me to understand things when you reciprocate. My biggest peeve tho is that what I post right or wrong is rarely acknowledged ( the wrong does get some action) but the right rarely if ever does.

Anyway for whatever reason I am the area of dissesion. I am covered with projects etc at my job, and with 5 kids I need to be doing more with them.

With that said I will bid all a vaya con dios. I will always visit and print the answers to posts because ya never know when ya need em. Personally tho considering the type of forum it is I think y'all are a little stingy with your methods...ie the code.

I know...I worked hard to learn this stuff! In a few years a 20+ year old will come along that knows more about the programming then you ever thought of. Knowing the machines will make you valuable but in the long run that 20+ yr old will be the boss of the project/job...whatever.

Personally I am old and its time for some 20+ year old to come along and take over...at this time wouldnt hurt me or my feelings at all.

Anyway...melodrama or not, liked being a participant and the site.

Bye and if in TN give me a shout.

Ron,

I think we will all suffer from your absence on this board. Your postings are always interesting, and your experience with such a broad range of products is impressive. I hope you reconsider and continue to share with us your valuable knowledge.

OG

Besides.....screw them if they can't take a joke or a little bit of criticism

Ron, Many of us respect you for your vantage point you have on many issues. I think a few times you have been a little abrasive but that is no reason to sign off! I myself am almost fifty and just recently learned a little about being abrasive, and God knows I'm trying to change, but I'm not doing a very good job of changing. Anyways I hope I don't run from the challenge of change. And maybe you should continue to frequent this site but try to change a bit.

"I come, not to bury RSDORAN, but to praise him."

Ron

Please don't go. How else are we going to keep Terry and Peter from getting all highfalutin? Especially when they get all wrapped up in theory and forget that they are just slicing pickles. Pierre and I can't do it all.

And unless you're getting lots of Private Message hate mail, I don't think that's it all that many here who dislike you. Terry, maybe, on a bad day. But while he is well respected and a major contributor, he is NOT PLCs.net. One or two other newbies, who hide behind anonymous handles, throw out some insults, and never com back, but they don't count. But that's it, by my reconning.

Your presence here has helped scores of people, you know that, right? You've always been fast with great links to sites that answer the question. Not bad for "an unschooled tech".

And you know the dirty details of the line that a "Programmer" like myself never gets. Not "in te gut" anyway. And there's more to PLCs than just the programming. How you code depends on what's out there, and how it's wired. And that's the sort of thing you know. And aren't afraid to share.

You've also shared something else: yourself. Yes, as Jerry said, you've rubbed people the wrong way at times. And just as you've learned and grown from it, so have I. I've seen as it wasn't so much what you said, but how you said it that got you in trouble. I've got similar issues. I'm working on it, just as you are.

And this isn't "just a Programming site". Wiring leads to bratwurst. Welding noise to Norwegian. Terry's been interested in discussing a "quantum PLC" for ages, but hasn't been able to find any takers. I doubt that there's a topic that isn't/can't/won't be related to PLCs in some way. (Six Degrees of Seperation? Not just in people, but in everything that interests them? Have to think about that....)

I don't think we're all that stingy with code (except with students, of course). It's just that it's hard to convey more than a few rungs, and most of problems that can be so expressed, most here already know (like the toggle problem). And knowing so much, it's sometimes hard to know what you don't know, that is, where the gaps are.

But every now and then, I come across an idea hear that more than pays for the time I've spent here. Peter's recent lesson on PID helped me solve a problem just last week.

I can certainly relate, though, to having too much to do, and spending waaaaaay too much time here. If that's your reason for going, godspeed.

But don't go away mad.

Good luck on that IT position, BTW (TRAITOR!). :D

Dear Ron

I can appreciate that your workload and family commitments mean that you have little time for much else. I am often like that myself!

Please do not feel that your help is not appreciated, because it is. Only last weekend, the walls were closing in on me but I treat this place as a sort of sanctuary.

Tiredness passes and tomorrow is another day;

The regulars to this playground all sort of know each other. In and among the questions and answers, little pieces of each person’s characters, foibles and personality gradually emerge.
It would be a shame if you stopped posting. I for one have often been amazed at the lengths you go to, to post good links to relative information on other sites, stuff that you must have spent a lot of time to find for them.
I just hope it is a passing phase of despondency because the site would lose a very good member.

Cheers; Steve Goodlad.

Bill Mauldin, in his cartoons, told the story of World War II from the vantage point of a pair dirty, weary, but infinitely wise infantry privates named Willie and Joe.

RSDoran tells the story of factory automation from the point of view of the maintenance technician who, day in and day out, has to live with hardware from multiple vendors and of widely separated revision levels. He has to deal with buggy code written by people who might not recognize the machines they're trying to control. He has to try to get the job done safely and correctly, despite the production manager screaming in his ear that as long as the machine is down, it's costing the company thousands of dollars per hour.

When he pulls another rabbit out of his hat by cobbling together one more fix to keep a machine running that hasn't seen a PM overhaul in years, does anyone notice? Naw, that's his job. But, at 3 AM after 20+ consecutive hours on the job, if he accidently connects 115 volts to a 24 volt sensor, he'll never hear the end of it.

Ron, if you need to cut down on the frequency of your posts, by all means, do it. But don't go away for good. Your point of view is too valuable not to be heard. Bill Mauldin knew that. That's why he created Willie and Joe.

Now I suggest that you, Bill, and Snoopy get together and quaff a few root beers (apologies to Charles Schultz).

Steve Bailey is psychic
It was about a month ago approximately 4:00 am on a WTI rewinder with a Klockner-Moeller PS306 that I put the 120v on the 24v input card. Thats why I like my job, they didnt get upset with me. I did do a board level repair and the card worked long enough to get a new one in.

Allen, Jerry, Goody. OG, Steve, guess you can relate, thank you.

I will be around but it is summer here and the kids want to swim, hike, fish etc some of the younger ones need swimming lessons. We are going on a little vacation next week and after that I have promised my youngest son to help him with a Lego Robot. Its a twofold agenda for me, he wants to do the robot with a vision system. I want to learn more about vision systems and get back into robotics a little.

I have numerous projects piled up at work and the place is going thru changes due to being bought by a corporation. They have a merit raise system and I recently jumped 2 merits in pay so have to stay on my toes to justify it.

Overall a normal life for a maintenance/engineer type.

As far as the links go I have been collecting them for years in hopes of developing another website (my own) with different kinds of info pertaining to computers, plc's, electronics etc. If I find the subject to be something that I should have an interest in then I find it if I dont have it.

I will visit but wont be able to as often as I have been, again THANK Y'ALL.