Flowmeter for "WATER" and "EGG"

Siemener

I've doing some work on an automation project,
in a Biscuit manufacturing company here.

Can anyone tell me if they have ever used a FLOW METER for
"EGG"?

Secondly, any alternate to using an ANALOG flowmeter,
a Digital Type perhaps? I've heard these are expensive,
but just want to know the insight, from a practical experience, rather than a WEBSITE or sales rep. telling me how good it works!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Siemener said:
"EGG"?

Regards,

We allways uses E&H flow meters but they are expensief.
On the other hand works very good.

If the desity of the medium does not vary much, & the accuracy is not so important the mass flow meters will do by setting a density factor in the plc or flowmeter, on the other hand if the medium varies in density > than the allowable accuracy then it's got to be coriolis (very expensive).
Again I use E&H, these are very reliable

parky said:
If the desity of the medium does not vary much, & the accuracy is not so important the mass flow meters will do by setting a density factor in the plc or flowmeter, on the other hand if the medium varies in density > than the allowable accuracy then it's got to be coriolis (very expensive).
Again I use E&H, these are very reliable

Just want to add this to it. If i remember well EGG is not an isolator, it is elektromagnetic "conducting" (don't know if it is correct english). So normally you should be possible to use a magnetic Flowmeter for it. We use like posted before E&h PROmag E50. Piping diameter is offcouse depending on the amount of flow and pressure you need.

Regards

One very important thing to consider is cleaning since this is a food operation. You must have a flowbody that will handle the cleaning process. I would look at either coriolis or the newer ultrasonic by E +H. We only spec them at our plant. Price should not be a concern when food safety is a considered.

John Soltesz said:
One very important thing to consider is cleaning since this is a food operation. You must have a flowbody that will handle the cleaning process. I would look at either coriolis or the newer ultrasonic by E +H. We only spec them at our plant. Price should not be a concern when food safety is a considered.

John is absolutely correct. Coriolis will give you a smooth tube (I believe) that is as easily cleaned as rest of pipes. You do NOT want ANY moving parts around the stuff you are pumping.
We weigh the mixing unit as we add ingredients - this has required us to change out load cells fairy frequently due to the washdown requirements in our plant. This may be another option.
We make spreads that pump like sludge.

Kind of intruiging - how are you going to estimate # of eggs per unit volume or weight??

Dan Bentler

Magnetic Flowmeters do not have moving parts.
And they have a relatively short straight section with the same diameter as the tubing to/from the flowmeter.
And they are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as Corolis flowmeters.
In a book about flow measuring that I have, the only significant advantages of Corolis flowmeters over Magnetic flowmeters are:
Can measure uncondictive liquids.
Insensitive to sticking of material to the walls of the flowmeter.

And that gentelemen, was my post # 6000 !

Flow measurement

Thim said:
We allways uses E&H flow meters but they are expensive.
On the other hand works very good.

I second to that!

We use E&H flow meters, the application is to measure the volume of eggs to be put in dough main mixer for making pasta. Works perfectly!

Regards

Sherwin

Siemener said:
I've doing some work on an automation project,
in a Biscuit manufacturing company here.

"EGG"?

Secondly, any alternate to using an ANALOG flowmeter,
a Digital Type perhaps? I've heard these are expensive,
but just want to know the insight, from a practical experience, rather than a WEBSITE or sales rep. telling me how good it works!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

What type of egg? Whole, yolks only or whites only. We have an application where we have to measure all three types. Due to the differnce in densities and conductivities, mag flow would not be suitable, so we had to use E&H Massflows.

Expensive, but works.

John Soltesz said:

If i understand you well you want to put something plastic in the piping? How do you clean the place where you dose the eggs, since the piping is mostly closed circuit!! Or do you put the plastic flowbody more then once through the system.
What do you think of automated CIP installation instead of manualy to put that plastic body in the piping? Or are you talking about a differnent system?

leitmotif said:
John is absolutely correct. Coriolis will give you a smooth tube (I believe) that is as easily cleaned as rest of pipes. You do NOT want ANY moving parts around the stuff you are pumping.

Dan Bentler

Coriolis has a S-shape tube, magentic has a straight tube

Thim said:
If i understand you well you want to put something plastic in the piping? How do you clean the place where you dose the eggs, since the piping is mostly closed circuit!! Or do you put the plastic flowbody more then once through the system.
What do you think of automated CIP installation instead of manualy to put that plastic body in the piping? Or are you talking about a differnent system?

I think the post was referring to CIP. One issue ceramic flowtubes have is the inability to tolerate rapid temperature changes that a CIP system typically has. This is why any flowtube that is inline with a CIP system should be stainless steel.

curlyandshemp said:
I think the post was referring to CIP. One issue ceramic flowtubes have is the inability to tolerate rapid temperature changes that a CIP system typically has. This is why any flowtube that is inline with a CIP system should be stainless steel.

Hehe, then i appoligize, currently the also use some plastic food approved bal to put in the piping for cleany i thought that he meant that one. But from your post i understand he meant flowbody from the flowmeter sorry