RS 500 view only mode?

bigrthanur

Hello,

I think i remember that RS 500 program had a feature to put the online program in a "view only" mode. I want to give some of our guys the option of going online for diagnostics but do not want them to mess with the program.

Am i correct thinking i can set the program to this?

If so how do i do it?

Thanks

Hi,

I think you can do that by switching the CPU to the RUN mode rather then Program-RUN mode. You can do this thro the RSLogix software or even use the CPU key to switch he mode. In RUN mode one can only view the code but cannot do any online edits or modify the code.
I hope this answers your question.
-Arun Mallah

arun_mallah said:
Hi,

I think you can do that by switching the CPU to the RUN mode rather then Program-RUN mode. You can do this thro the RSLogix software or even use the CPU key to switch he mode. In RUN mode one can only view the code but cannot do any online edits or modify the code.
I hope this answers your question.
-Arun Mallah

This only applies to SLC500 units. It doesn't provide any protection against online changes on the ML1100 or ML1400, and anyone with a key can change the switch back to REM.

See Mickey's link.

You can install Factory Talk Security and setup RSLogix 500 rights so that it initially starts with minimal rights.

In FT Security, you can setup a Windows linked login names so that when windows starts, the windows user name can be used to open RSLogix in the view only mode. No password required to view the code. Once RSLogix is running, a tech with programming rights can login with another login name and password inside RSlogix from the Tools\Security\Login menu.

When configuring FT Security and RSLogix500 rights...

Do not allow editing or Data Table changes. Do not allow saving the program.

Do allow your technicians to setup Trends, Histograms and Data Monitors.

I hope this helps!