Ab Input Module /no Signal At Dcs

TURG

Hi everyone I have a little problem. I have wired up a weighing deviced to an AB 1794-IE8 block. The device is to monitor how much carbon goes into a process. The 4-20mA siganl is then sent to the DCS were it is monitored and a trend is taking. Problem is I am getting a signal into the 1794-IE8 block but no corresponding signal is then seen on the graphic in the control room. It just reads zero. I have wired the The positive to the 0-15 (row A) and the negative to the 16-33 (row B).
Is the wiring correct. or could their be a problem between the siganl being sent from the PLC cabinet to the DCS or a problem Between the setting up of the graphic and linking of the input on the RS Logix window maker.
Many thanks
Cheers

I have had the same problem with a foxboro system where the PLC output card and the DCS input card were both grounded. In my case we installed a isolated input card in our DCS and all is well.

How is the analog signal getting from the PLC input card to the DCS input? Are you splitting the 4-20ma signal or using comms between the PLC processor and the DCS?

HI this input is part of a whole PLC system linked to a plants DCS. This input is connected to the DCS by way of a COMS link. As is the rest of the inputs to the DCS. The PLLC is in two cabinets. One housing the I/O modules. The other houses the CPU, COMS, Power Supply etc. The rest of the info from the other inputs show up fine on the process operators screen graphics.
Cheers

Turg, are you sure that the signal is on your ab input board, the other day i got the same problem and i found out that i had to use a signal isolator between my source ( old siemens drive ) and my input block, once the isolator was installed signal appeared on scada.

The 1794-IE8 Modules need to be properly configured, and each channel individually enabled. Have you enabled the channel? Can you see the signal ONLINE in the PLC?

Also, some Communications Servers cannot properly directly read physical I/O points. Try moving the value into an internal N register, and reading it from there.