Volkswagon controls

scalelar

Hi guys
I live near Chattanooga, Tn which just landed VW's billion dollar facility. Anyone know what controls (plcs, servos etc)they use. We're guessing Seimens plc's. Any insight would be appreciated.

scalelar

I would bet my house that it is all Siemens controls. That factory in Dresdon (post#2) looks amazing... I have never worked in an attractive factory.

I dont think there is a VW company policy of "Siemens only". I have seen references to for example Schneider Concept being used at some VW plant.
But Siemens is obviously very common for VW, so it is not a bad idea to familiarize yourself with Siemens.
If you should ever get work with VW, or even just bid on a project, then you will have to follow strict VW standards. These covers all aspects, even down to data structures and how to program PLCs. Have tried it once (however, due to some wrangling over the contract we managed to writher ourselves out of having to follow most of the strictest rules).

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes the facility here is "supposed" to be modeled off of the Dresden plant but who can say for sure. I had seen those pics before but still don't see a siemens rack(not that I'd know one in my face.lol)

I'm probably too old for a direct position with vw but hopefully I will benefit indirectly.

Thanks again
scalelar

I had seen those pics before but still don't see a siemens rack(not that I'd know one in my face.lol)
One pic shows 3 HMI screens. The pic just below shows one HMI and you can see the rack just below in the right hand corner. It looks a lot like ET200S but I am not sure.

Scroll down the pictures and look at the 12 cylinder engine block near the bottom of the page. Note the cylinder arrangement. Now I'm no automotive engine expert (just a back yard motor-head with an appreciation for 67-73 muscle) but the offset cylinder rows means that different pistons function at different angles with respect to the crank shaft, and it seems to me that means slightly different strokes and different lenght (and mass) piston rods for the different rows of pistons. That would mean some performance/efficiency tradeoffs for one row or the otheror both, but what the hell, its a 12 cylinder engine, who cares about efficiency and performance will still be ahead of the curve. Power:Weight will be good at least. Nevertheless, it seems a bit odd. Mabye I'm just up in the night, does it seem to be an odd arrangement to anyone else?

Wow, that glass factory doesn't look like the Wolfsburg factory of 1974 that I spent some time in . Stunning, almost sci-fi-ish. Thanks for posting the link.

Dan

CharlesM said:
One pic shows 3 HMI screens. The pic just below shows one HMI and you can see the rack just below in the right hand corner. It looks a lot like ET200S but I am not sure.

Yep, looks like a ET200S rack.

That place looks sweet. Wouldn't mind taking one of their tours....

Hardware

Hello,

they use S7/Phoenix in the welding lines with interbus. In the assembly lines they use S7 and other controller with profibus and ASI-bus. Its different from plant to plant and standard to standard.