OPC - DCOM Settings

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi I an trying to establish an OPC link between 2 PC's with Kepware as the Server and GE Cimplicity HMI as the client.

From Cimplicity I can 'browse' the opc server and select it, but when I view the points values, they are * (no communications)

I set up the server DCOM as per kepwares tech note, but when I tried to set up the client Windows XP crashes the console program.

So, my actual question is ... For a PC to PC opc setup, does the DCOM have to be set up on the client also?

Cheers

Yes DCOM has to be set up on both the PC's. If your PC's are in a work group then you need to make sure taht all the users exist on both PC's.

If the problem persists call us at Kepware and one of our Support Engineers can work with you to fix it.

Thanks for that Fred. That pretty much answers my question

The DCOM settings on one of the PC's are screwed up.. evry time I try and change anything the managment console crashes out with illegal operatopn errors so it needs togo on a trip to the IT techs for a rebuild.

Anyone know if DCOM can be installed by itself as a 'blowover'.. i would guess not but am interested to hear otherwise

Cheers

Unfortunately the only OS's that allowed that were Win95 and 98 because DCOM was not native to the original release. in the 32 bit platforms DCOM is part and parcel of the entire OS. there are also so my inter dependencies that the errors could be caused be failure in a file that it only realted to the process becaues it is a dependecny of a file that DCOM or the management console is dependent upon. I have seen situations were the error is caused be a file that is 5 levels down from the failing program. The only solution is to reformat and re-install.

Hey Fred, I'll jump in an ask an unrelated Kepware question if I may: I recently purchased a Netlink Ethernet/MPI adapter with the intentions of using it with Kepware, but after I got it I discovered it was the other Netlink adapter, not the one that is compatible with Kepware.

So, since I have given up all hope of ever making the DeltaLogic OPC Server work, I guess I'll buy the Netlink on your site. But, I would first like to know if the string data type is supported when using that interface. I the standard MPI interface doesn't support strings, but in this case would it use the ethernet standard or MPI standard? My upcoming application will consist of mostly strings, so I would need to know up front.

If it is their new adapter (netTAP-MPI-e) we will work with it. We just finished testing with it a few months ago. what we did find out is that Hilscher made a firmware change so you will need and updated Netlink configuration utility from us to properly configure it. Also, the adapters sold by helmholtz are hilscher netlinks.

So, you mean the Softing Netlink will work with the Kepware server now? I bought it in May, so I imagine it is their latest one. Is the configuration utility a download from you?

No the Softing Netlink is not the same as the Hilscher Netlink. Same name but different manufacturere and different Protocols. The Ethernet portion of the request is not Siemens Ethenret in the Hilscher netlinks, to the best of my knowledge the ones from softing are not either. It would be just to simple and convenient for them all to be the same. :)