S7 300 connection

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone know where i can find a guide on setuping a connection on 300 series siemens PLC's. Trying to get some hand shaking between 2 plc's using the CP 343-1. I just need a few signals saying information was recieved and correct. I'm guessing in the "new connection area I use "unspecified partner" of type S7 and just enter the IP address. Is this correct.

also do i need to run connection setup on the second plc to get the TSAP correct?

I'm pretty confused. I don't see any connections setup from before but I do see Get's and Put's used in the program. Can you use those statements without connections being setup?

I'm almost 100% certain that you need to set up connections in Netpro for Get and Put (correct me if i'm wrong).

For Get and Put you can set up an unspecified connection only in one plc and grab data from another plc that doesn't have any connections specified. I dont like this since it get very hard to know where the data is coming from if you dont document very well.

Its better to add a dummy station in your project with just the hardware of the other plc or add something that is called "other station" in both plc's. One parner has to be active the other passive. Make sure that the connection parameters match in both projects. After you have set up the S7 connection in netpro add the "Get" block (or one of the other S7 communication blocks) in the ladder editor and right click the block and choose connections to get a drop list with the connection parameters.

Last edited:
For sure there has to a configured connection for PUT and GET to work.
When you see the existing PUT and GET instructions, one of the parameters is the ID which is the connection number setup in NetPro.

Are you looking at an uploaded program ?
I am not sure that connections can be uploaded. Maybe that is why you cannot see the connections. Try to do an upload from NetPro in stead of from Simatic Manager.

It may be uploaded. It is a program that another company wrote for us. And uses get's and put's but there are no connections listed. I was looking into creating a new connection but didn't want to erase the old one. So I think I'm kinda stuck if I can't upload. Except for re-creating the old connections along with the new.

That's the thing, this is the copy I got from them. I have tried uploading from netpro with ethernet but it tells me it cannot reach the module.

I have specified the IP address, rack and slot. But will not communicate.

Get's and Put's are functioning, and I can go online via ethernet and make changes.

JOLTRON said:
I have tried uploading from netpro with ethernet but it tells me it cannot reach the module.
I have specified the IP address, rack and slot. But will not communicate.
Did you simply use "upload" in NetPro ?
A dialog will appear with "rack" "slot" etc empty. If you hit the "view" button in that dialog, the network will be scanned for reachable modules. You should not have to specify IP/rack/slot manually. Try that.

By the way, normally for S7-300 rack=0 and slot=2 regardless of the CP. This because the connection is for the CPU (slot 2) and not the CP. The CP is just a stepping-stone for the CPU.

I'm pretty sure I tried it with all different ways. When I press view my 2 PLC's show up. Then I select the one I'm trying to upload. I have tried leaving the rack and slot fields blank, using the CPU slot and the CP slot.

I will go out in a while and give it a try again.

JOLTRON said:
I'm pretty sure I tried it with all different ways. When I press view my 2 PLC's show up. Then I select the one I'm trying to upload. I have tried leaving the rack and slot fields blank, using the CPU slot and the CP slot.
Select one of the CPUs that come up, and set rack=0 and slot=2. It ought to work.

Ok tried it 3 times and it finally found it.

Is there anything I should be worried about if I keep the uploaded station config in my netpro and delete the old one? Just wondering if anything is tied to the names Simatic 300 Station and Simatic 300 Station(1).

Thanks alot for all of your help on this issue.

Joel