RS5000 programming

rlasseigne

We have had several Compact logic controllers installed by a vendor over the last few months and now we are needing to make a few minor changes to the programming. We have not had any AB RS5000 training and hoping for some simple help. Can someone give me a link or some beginner help to add a timer to the logic? I have added the timer tag to the application, the software installed and have gone online with the controller but cannot add the timer. Thanks

Last edited:
Do you have any experience with the RSLogix 500 software?

You cannot change the rung until you are editing it. Double click on the rung and you will see a bunch of eeeeeee's on the side, and it will make a second copy of the rung for you to edit. You then make your changes, accept them (it will check for syntax errors, etc), test them, compile them, assemble them.

But until you double click on a rung, you can't drag any instructions onto it.

Tharon, yes I have a little. I did you you said and was able to add the timer, once I do this then I need to compile, test and assemble them. Are these all options on the menu system? Thanks for your support

here's a few quick programming guides for CompactLogix controllers using RSLogix 5000.

A few quick things of note
1. Make sure the keyswitch on the processor is in REM (remote) and not in Run.
2. All timer values are set up in milliseconds so a Preset of 1000 is 1 sec.

General Instruction Set for Logix5000 controllers
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Common Procedures for Logix5000 Contollers (contain links to other documents)
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm001_-en-e.pdf

Logix5000 ladder editing guide.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm008_-en-p.pdf

welcome to the world of Allen-Bradley and there are a lot of people here who are full of knowledge to help you.

Last edited:
not sure exactly where you're getting stuck - but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you need to "name" the new timer ... so instead of an address (example: T4:0) use something like MyTimer ... note that you can NOT have spaces or other "special" characters in the name ... and that the name can NOT start with a number ...

once you've got the name typed in, right-click the name and select "New MyTimer" ... then basically you click OK from the window that pops up - and that should get you going ...

also ... for most later versions of RSLogix5000 there is a "finalize" icon (looks like a multicolored arrow) ... if you click that, all of the edit steps should take care of themselves ...

CAUTION! ... when you nail down YOUR edits, you'll also be nailing down any OTHER edits that might have been left in the program by the previous programmer ... how dangerous might this be to your particular situation? ...

Ron Beaufort said:
CAUTION! ... when you nail down YOUR edits, you'll also be nailing down any OTHER edits that might have been left in the program by the previous programmer ... how dangerous might this be to your particular situation? ...

I use RSLogix5000 v10.02 and mine only accept, test, apply, etc. the rung I'm currently highlighting/editing. Maybe I'm doing it different?

Tharon said:
I use RSLogix5000 v10.02 and mine only accept, test, apply, etc. the rung I'm currently highlighting/editing. Maybe I'm doing it different?

No, you can't do that. Maybe you are confusing the terminology. The Test/Assemble are processor wide. You 'CAN' only accept one rung at a time, but if there are any other rungs left in there that were also accepted but never assembled, as soon as you go test/assemble, they all become active. From the CLX help:

Test Edit - A mode that a program uses to test the logic in edit zones. Any insert zone executes, while replace zones and delete zones stop executing. From this mode it is possible to assemble edits. Note the term "edit zones"...This is any and all rungs whether Insert, Delete, or Edited that have been accepted.

Assemble Edit - A type of edit used to convert edit zones in all routines of a program into regular rungs. Insert zones become regular rungs, while replace zones and delete zones are removed. All remaining rungs in the program execute. Edits can only be assembled from test edits mode. Again, Note the term "edit zones in ALL routines".

Last edited:
robertmee said:
...The Test/Assemble are processor wide....
This is incorrect.

Assemble Edit - A type of edit used to convert edit zones in all routines of a program into regular rungs. Insert zones become regular rungs, while replace zones and delete zones are removed. All remaining rungs in the program execute. Edits can only be assembled from test edits mode. Again, Note the term "edit zones in ALL routines".

You have to read this carefully: all routines of a program

A processor can have multiple tasks and a task can have multiple programs. Assembling edits only operates on the program that you're working with (including all routines within that program). The confirmation window that pops up will list all routines within a program that are about to be assembled.
Routines in other programs are not affected.

hmmmm....that's not how I've understood it. Unfortunately, don't have a CLX to test online, but that's certainly good to know. In the traditional sense, 'program' refers to the entire kit-n-kaboodle in the processor.

EDIT: Okay, so I do have 5000 emulate, and you're absolutely correct. I rarely jump between 'programs' within a task so never noticed that difference. Thanks for the enlightenment.

However, with that said, you cannot test/assemble a single rung as my reply was intended to correct (albeit poorly :) )

Last edited:
Well. I guess I never actually accepted edits on more than one rung before doing a Test/Assemble Edit.

Well. I guess I never actually accepted edits on more than one rung before doing a Test/Assemble Edit.
Shame on you Tharon, I believe my record is about 900 rungs, a whole routine pasted in, then "Finalised", all while the processes were running.

The "Finalise Edits" button was introduced into RSLogix5000 in Version 12 or 13. It does all of the following, with only 1 confirmation prompt:-

Accept Edits
Yes
Test Edits
Yes
Assemble Edits
Yes