DH+ network basic question

russrmartin

Hi guys. I'm in a pinch and don't have time to find the answer to this question, as you guys are much quicker and time is of the essence. I have an existing DH+ network that will have some devices disconnected for equipment relocation. My question is, are there any negative impacts to having configured devices not connected to the network. i.e. Can I expect for the remaining devices connected to the network to still communicate, or will I have to re-configure the network without the removed equipment for the remaining devices to communicate. This is my first dealing with DH+, as it's before my time technology. Thanks.

Russ

As for communications, I think the rest of the equipment will work fine, except,

Some handshake is programmed in the running equipment from the disconnected ones -> which may error

If you are running a PanelView on the DH+, it may be configured to require the node. If it is, it will show an error at the top of the screen sayin "required network nodes not found". This may keep you from being able to do anything with the PanelView till the nodes are removed from the configuration.

What types of devices are they? Panelview Plus or Standard? other HMI(s)?

Also look for messaging between controllers as a potential problem.

As said before, if your cables are daisy chained to keep the cable continuous or you're using a trunk with drops, and the end nodes with terminating resistors are not affected, you can unplug them without causing any problem with remaining devices.

...And you've got to have at least 3 stations (I was going to say 2) on
the net.

Good luck

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

DH+ maybe a legacy but it will be here for a while, it's a very robust network. The only potential issue is with the last device on the network. If one of the devices you have removed was a last device i.e. it was using a terminating resistor, then your network may not be properly terminated. This is a definite issue with long distance cable networks. Maximium distance for DH+ is 10 000 Ft, I have one at about 8 000 Ft, it works like a charm but it must have a terminating resistor installed. This should be your only concern, you can remove and add nodes as you like and you don't need to re-survey the network (unlike ControlNet etc.)

Thanks for the info. The network is a mix of OLD panelview CRT's, redipanel PB stations, and IO racks. The devices being disconnected are the redipanels, as they are going to be relocated. This is going to be a learn by doing project due to the schedule. It's great to know there are sites and people like this out there in times like this.