RAC6182 HMI w/ RSView ME

Steve Crotty

Hi,

We have a RAC6182 (Running Win CE 3.0) that we want to try and secure. So far we have managed to lock everyone out of windows without the correct password. The only loop hole I can see now is when the runtime application is starting up, somebody could go and start Internet Explorer or My Computer or something. They do not have a lot of time to do any damange really, but when the runtime app starts over top of whatever they got into, the runtime app runs REALLY slowly.

Does anybody know of anyway of locking down the windows portion of CE to prevent this?

Another annoying little thing is that every time power is cycled to the HMI, the Num Lock key goes off on the keypad. Does anyone know of a way to set it on when win CE boots up?

My last question is does anyone else find that the runtime app runs really slowly (takes a long time for screens to fully load ect..).

Thanks,

A typical problem with WinCE based OIs is the runtime runs slow. Unlike other RTOS based OIs which operate with much less overhead. WinCE has a lot going on in the background which causes it to be slower. With the Microsoft connectivity you get with CE, their is a price to pay (slower responce, slower screen update). Solution? Full blown IPC with Windows 2000 running on a solid state drive. A few years ago this was unheard of, but now with 15" PIII class IPCs (Xycom 3115T), lower cost solid state media (<$800 for 2G)(Sandisk), and lower cost HMI software(InduSoft), you can have a full blown solid state solution for $4000-$4500. Probably around the price you paid for the 6183 and got much less.

Sorry cannot help you with the other problems, seems to me that RSI should have allowed you to lock out your desktop to keep from opening the other Windows programs. The numlock problem sounds like something you should be able to turn on in the BIOS.

Good Luck!

runderwood

What Windows CE features are you using that you can't use a PanelView Plus for this ? Those don't let you get to the CE desktop at all.

Probably the reason is that you already have the 6182 installed because you couldn't wait for the PV+ hardware to *finally* release.

The PV+ has had a bumpy takeoff, but the more I use it the more I like it. Hopefully there will be more traffic over at the RSI Machine Edition forum.

Thanks Ken for the reply

Yeah, we already got the taskbar nailed down.. its just the brief time of when CE is booted up and the app is fully loaded. I supose its not the end of the world but it would have been nice to lock that out.

We got our rid of most of our slow loading times by using more multistate indicators instead of animation (we were simulating a selector switch using visibilities).

as far as the PV+ is concerned, we didnt really have a choice, the customer specified this. The RAC6182 isnt bad once you get through the frustration and get into the proper mind set for programming it (its not a RSView32 app). I just wish it had a little bit more control of certain little things.

anyways, thanks again