Contrologix using Quantum S908 RIO

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an application I am looking at that has Quantum PLCs on S908 RIO using the 140 CRA 931 RIO adapters in Quantum remote racks.

My thinking is to replace the Quantum 140 CPU 113 with Contrologix then find a qateway to connect to the existing Quantum RIO. There is condsiderable costs savings to the customer if the existing RIO spread throughout 8 floors of their plant can remain.

From doing searches, I came across this . Has anyone used this product, or found a another solution other than replacing the existing RIO racks?

Nate W said:
Check out ProSoft, they make AB modules to interface with other brands of PLCs.

Thanks,

already done that. Prosoft or Woodhead (SST) have no gateways to the S908 RIO

Couple years ago I saw live demo of the Quest module and it looks like working solution.
But I am not aware of any working installations, just because I am not involved in this at all.
I got to this presentation just because of my Modicon background.

Before you decide to keep Moficon I/O check how many I/O modules are in perfect working condition with all working I/O points.
Most likely you will find quite a few modules that will require replcement now or really soon.
If I/O is OK then once initial conversion done with current I/O you can gradually replace I/O one rack at the time.

I also know that www.**************.com (founded by former RA engineer Kevin Burns) has working converter from Profworx/Modsoft - I saw very good conversions done with early versions of his software and I know Kevin made many improvments since.

It easly converts programs with 1500+ networks, but major cleanup still needed for math and advanced instructions.

EDIT: I guess that website is No-No here, so PM me if you want address. Looks like Kevin tried some advertizing here before ;).
I am not asociated with this site in any way, just happened to see good converter while ago.

Last edited:
Contr_Conn said:
Couple years ago I saw live demo of the Quest module and it looks like working solution.
But I am not aware of any working installations, just because I am not involved in this at all.
I got to this presentation just because of my Modicon background.

Before you decide to keep Moficon I/O check how many I/O modules are in perfect working condition with all working I/O points.
Most likely you will find quite a few modules that will require replcement now or really soon.
If I/O is OK then once initial conversion done with current I/O you can gradually replace I/O one rack at the time.

I also know that www.**************.com (founded by former RA engineer Kevin Burns) has working converter from Profworx/Modsoft - I saw very good conversions done with early versions of his software and I know Kevin made many improvments since.

It easly converts programs with 1500+ networks, but major cleanup still needed for math and advanced instructions.

EDIT: I guess that website is No-No here, so PM me if you want address. Looks like Kevin tried some advertizing here before ;).
I am not asociated with this site in any way, just happened to see good converter while ago.

Thanks for the info. The RIO is actually all Quantum I/O and not the old Modicon 800 series stuff. This is a plant that runs 24/7 with minimum downtime. We have done several PLC 2/3 conversions to Clgx where swapping the RIO cable from the existing processor to the new Clgx processor provided a smooth and painless conversion. We would run the plant on new PLC for one shift, shut down and switch back to old PLC for remaining overnite shifts. Doing this over a period of 2 or 3 days would allow for an almost flawless final switchover to the new Clgx PLC